Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Jul 1998 16:33:38 -0600
From:         Tzung Yang <Tzung.Yang@UCHSC.EDU>
Subject:      90' Carat cold start problem, is it FI?
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi all, My 90' Vanagon Carat has a cold start problem. With the help from the listees, I have changed the oxygen sensor, coolant temperature sensor, plugs, but it still stalls sometimes in the morning when I start the car without pumping the gas. Ocassionally, when I start it, the idle will gradually increase from about 400 rmp to around 900, then it might show some slugish but once the engine is warm, everything runs perfect. I called the mechanic, and they suggested me to have a check on the fuel injection system, which by itself will cost $130. Because I just had the FI recall service a year ago (when it was about 73000 miles and at that time I was in California), I wonder should I spend the money to have the dealer check the FI system for me or is there any other thing I should try before I give it up? I forgot to mention that this problem seemed to occur after I had the left side cylinder head replaced at about 75k mile. But the independent mechanic who did the job said he should not cause the problem and he checked the vacuum and there was no leak.

Because I am moving to San Diego by the end of August, I wonder should I have this problem solved here in Denver or wait till I get back to California? And if anyone can recommend good mechanics in SD? Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Thank you all,

Tzung