Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jul 1998 10:13:11 -0500
From:         "John H. Rodgers" <inua@QUICKLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: EMERGENCY...HELP HELP formerly: Alaska Trek stuff....
Comments: To: Scooter061 <Scooter061@aol.com>
Comments: cc: Vanagon <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

-- [ From: John H. Rodgers * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Scott, I don't mean to throw more water on your party ....but!!!! You really are going off into the wilderness. And while you are relatively safe along the highway route as long as you stay where people are, the minute you step into the bush, you are in the land of the beasts. And while you are having a grand adventure, you must always have that in the forefront of your mind.

Around Dawson Creek it's not much of a problem, but once you move a little further north it will be. You never know where you may encounter a bear or moose. They are not to be toyed with. Enjoy them from a distance. The bear may surprise you by just stepping out from behind the bushes. The moose will be more obvious. The moose can kill as easily as a bear. And if the bear has cubs or the moose has a calf, bad news. Get out of there. Don't hang about. Stay in your vehicle unless there is considerable distance. And keep in mind these animals are where you find them, and sometimes you find them in strange places. That is why you need to be wary. Not scared all the time, just cognizant of the fact that you are in their territory. In Anchorage a passerby witnessed and caught on video tape a cow moose trampling a a man to death, in the city, on the University of Alaskaa Campus, not ten feet from the front door of the building. She had a calf and he got to close. She knew exactly what to do to dispatch the perceived threat to her calf. She knocked him down, then jumped up and down on him with very sharp hoofs.

Don't be afraid. Just be educated, aware, and exercise good judgement.

Most citified folk (and thats most of us these days) lose their awareness of wilderness. The things our forefathers had to deal with in settling the North American wilderness were more a direct threat to life than they are today. But in places those things still exist, and when you go out amongst them you had better be aware.

About your pets(I'm a cat person myself), there is nothing more disconcerting than to have a pet turn up missing only to discover a day or so later, cat claws in the local owl dung. As you proceed further north, Owls will become a threat to your pets if they are out anywhere. There are a lot of owls in the north country. There are also eagles. And there are tales told.

I have a friend whose small cat was snatched one evening late when she happened to be in the yard with the cat. My friend grabbed a rock and threw it. Amazingly she managed to hit the owl. The owl released the cat and it fell from 15 feet in the air, and amazingly landed on its feet. It was stunned, with the attack and the fall. But in a second it recovered itself and made a beeline for the house. She was never able to get the cat to go out again.

And there was the case of tourons (Alaska lingo for the plural of tourist) from the Lower 48 states visiting the famous Homer Spit in Homer, Alaska, and enjoying the eagles flying about due to the presences of fish. They had released their white toy poodle for a potty run when right before their horrified eyes an eagle made a swoop and snatched their pet and flew away towards the mountains. They could only watch. Ruined their trip.

So.....forewarned is forearmed. Be aware and be safe........your family and your pets!

Enjoy your journey....its fabulous country.

And may the wind be always at your back. (That way the animals you approach unseen will be downwind of you, smell you before you get there, and get out of the way......they don't want any unexpected encounters anymore than you do)

John Rodgers. '85 GL Driver