Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Jul 1998 13:50:00 -0700
From:         Robert Lilley <vwvanman@MAILEXCITE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Insurers, salvage and totalling the vehicle
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

>I would like to add to this, however. My '74 Bus >burned up, but not >completely. From the front, you couldn't see any of >the damage. The >engine and rear interior were destroyed enough that >they totalled the car. >But, when figuring out the price, they used the >selling price found in the >paper. I ended up getting $2800 for it. I could >have sold it for maybe >$1500-1700, but they average the asking price of ALL >the buses in the >paper, not just the ones in similar condition to >yours.

I had someone ran into the side of my 73' bus. The insurance co. wanted to start with $1700 (market survey) and add $400 because it had some work done to it and looked "cared for".

They wanted to total the van and sell it to me for $350 I would get only $1650 and re-title the bus as salvage, more money and time lost.

I knew it was worth more, I have put over $7K into it. (custom engine, restoration)and I was not going to settle for anything less than the money to fix it.

I had a local VW Bus expert look at it. He valued it to be between $4500 and $5500. He said the engine w/24K was worth $2500 alone.

I did not get mad but made several passionate pleas about the value and worth of my bus. After 2 months of talking with the adjuster, he agreed with the expert and wrote me a check for $1749 minus the $100 deductible plus more if there is more damage unseen.

I also dealt with the agent before about a truck that threw a rock into the windshield of the 88 Vanagon that I had owned for only 4 days (bought in Nov, 97). Five months later they paid me a check for $525 to fix the windshield (our collision then had a $500 deductible, for $21 more a year we changed to $50/0)

It takes time and work to get a higher value for your van, if you feel it is worth more than what is being offered do what it takes to prove it and do not settle for less.

I now have to tackle the DOT to replace a bent rim and wheel bearing damage due to a large pot hole...

FWIW The "73 bus will be up for sell when the head gaskets are done on my '88 in about a month.

VWVanman

Free web-based email, Forever, From anywhere! http://www.mailexcite.com