Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Jul 1998 14:10:11 -0500
From:         Darrell Boehler <midwesty@TAOS.MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: digijet tool testing
Comments: To: Steven Johnson <sjohnson@CALWEB.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

---------------------------- Hi Steve, You are talking about a breakout box type connector. I have not seen one made for the digifant however I think the digifant 2 uses the same connector (not positive on this) and there is a vw breakout tool for it. VAG 1598 test box and VAG 1598/2 adapter are required for the digifant 2 non California. The adapter contains the male and female 25 pin connectors with a cable coming out between them, or T connector. The test box appears to be nothing more than test points. With this type of tool / connector it would not be necessary to add a flat wire cable onto the digijet / digifant to gain access to the ECU interface. I would think this is the tool vw dealers and shops would have to service digifant problems. Although none of the books I have or Derek Drew (thanks Derek) sent to me reference a breakout box for use on the vanagon, having direct access to the interface information makes it much easier than other methods (swag or pin stuck into wire method) to analyze problems. I have looked through some vw micro fiche and found no connectors available and there were some other listees looking for a source for them and I have never heard back from any of them except not found. The male connector on the digifant has this information " amp 827678 " . There were some on the list with plans to strip the connector from an old ECU and one from a fi cable and attach them together along with a cable making a T connector that way. If you or someone else found a source for these connectors it could be a good alternative to attaching a flat wire cable to the ECU. The tool could be adapted to a T connector no problem. I personally have no problem with adding the flat wire cable to the ECU, I have been working with circuit boards since 1960 or all my adult life. Many others on the list feel as I and have added cables, others would prefer a T cable. I think it is a matter of economics the flat 1-2 ft of cable with connector is $4 and 1-2 hours labor. Since I am retired and electronics is now a hobby and not a way to make a living I enjoy using my hard earned / learned skills from the past. The T cable would also add one more connector to the fi system when it was installed, however in some ways it would be more convenient than moving the ECU from van to van when one had multiple vans as many do. Thanks for your ideas and thoughts and I feel if we all put a little into this we will eventually have a tool most all of us will enjoy using. The digitool makes it so very easy to analyze fi problems, it is actually fun when problems develop or to trouble shoot or even to check other vans for problems. The built in LCD volt meter feature many told me they wanted is a great addition. A person can actually learn to work on a fi problem without getting out their trusty meter.

Darrell Boehler Makanda Illinois

-----Original Message----- From: Steven Johnson <sjohnson@CALWEB.COM> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Sunday, July 26, 1998 10:38 AM Subject: Re: digijet tool testing