Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jul 1998 03:01:52 -0500
From:         Budd Premack <bpremack@WAVETECH.NET>
Subject:      A/C Freezing Up?
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

The a/c on my 86 Syncro GL (non-Westy) was inoperative when I purchased it two years ago. Two weeks ago it was reborn with several hose repairs, a new receiver dryer and an infusion of 134A refrigerant and special ester (sp?) oil. It works great, but....

With the temp control knob on the warmest setting, the air is really cold, and does not feel any colder if the knob is turned to a "colder" setting. (Sorry, I have not checked it with an accurate thermometer.) After about 45-60 minutes the air gets warmer until it seems as if the a/c is no longer operating. If the van is parked for 30-60 minutes, there is a puddle under the right side of the rear bumper (water from the drain hose). Upon restarting, the a/c works fine again. I have not had the opportunity to run it through several consecutive on and off 60 minute cycles as I have not had any all day trips this past two weeks. It does seem as if there is a longer period of proper operation if the humidity is lower and/or the ambient air temperature is lower. Naturally, these conditions would put less demand upon the a/c system. On a nightime 90 minute drive at 75 F ambient, the a/c was so cold, even at the lowest fan and temp setting, that we mostly closed the front a/c air vents. This was with only two front seat occupants, and the rear vents all closed.

Note to all of you sweltering down South: I am not complaining about being too cool, just making a statement to aid in problem diagnosis. Besides, you don't really want to trade your winters for those in Minnesota.

It seems to me that the system may be running at maximum cold capacity and then freezing up. What is the problem? Is it a bad temperature control switch, a/c thermostadt or capillary tube, expansion valve, or ? The top and side pillar housings were not removed, so the evaporator, expansion valve, relays, etc. have not been physically examined.

All suggestions will be shared with my ace mechanic, who seems quite capable with a/c systems and Vanagons. (He went on vacation after fixing my a/c, but will be back soon.)

Thanks in advance.

Budd Premack 86 Syncro, 73 Super Minneapolis, MN (Land of Sky-Blue Waters)