Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jul 1998 15:59:22 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Storing gasoline-a don't
Comments: To: Karl Bloss <blosskf@APCI.COM>
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

I keep gas stored there all the time. For years now.

I see no problem with storing gas there so long as you take precautions. What I do is 1) place a air dam shield over the gas can to keep warm air away from the can itself, and 2) I used that stout little round gas take by, I think, Stainless Steel something or other company--Stainless Steel Brake Company??. Joel knows which one it is as I think he uses the same can. Little red doughnut can with a hole in the middle, but very strong looking--made of heavy metal.

The only time I had a problem was when I actually opened the gas can. It sprayed all over my face, hair, and got my shirt and pants all wet. I didn't like it.

At 02:18 PM 7/27/98 +0000, you wrote: >A while back I caught some list chatter about where to store spare >gasoline in and around the van. Here's a story about how NOT to do >it. > >I needed a place to store a small (1 gallon) 2-cycle mix container >for our generator during our recent trip. Someone (I can't remember >who; doesn't matter anyway) suggested flipping the spare tire >concave side up and putting the gas can in there. > >We started smelling gas very badly, pulled over, and grabbed the fire >extinguisher. To make a long story short, while traversing >Smuggler's Notch in VT, the coolant pipes in that area got warm >enough so that the vapor pressure built up in the plastic fuel >container and blew the rupture disk, spilling fuel all down the spare >tire and below. I quickly dropped the spare and cleaned all the >sprayed gas up. This could have been catastrophic since ignition >sources abound (e.g. spark from coolant fan kicking on). > >So don't try this at home (or on the road), kids. The only good part >is that the spare wheel is now very clean and lightly oiled. :-) > >-Karl > >'87 Vanagon GL Weekender "Beverley"; Trexlertown, PA >http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/ >VW shop list: http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/vwshops >

________________________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY & Washington, DC drew@interport.net '90 Syncro Westfalia... ...seen off-road at http://www.tiu.net/~des/vw/drew/index.html

Also seen at: http://www.pipeline.com/~tforhan/swrange.htm http://4wd.sofcom.com/VW/snow.html http://www.pipeline.com/~tforhan/swmassn.htm http://4wd.sofcom.com/VW/Campers/Campers.html

Note: most valuable Vanagon sites on the planet (for owners) are: http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?S1=vanagon ftp://gerry.vanagon.com/pub/