Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:45:02 -0700
From:         Tom Young <young@SHERLOCK.SIMS.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Wheel bearings
Comments: To: Ian Cameron <ianc@UVIC.CA>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

When I've removed the hubs on my '81 I've always removed the caliper, held on by two big nuts (19mm?) torqued up pretty high (93 ft/lbs?). But you can get to these two nuts in a pretty straight-forward fashion. I've used a water pipe over the handle of my 1/2" drive rachet to get the leverage I've needed.

I seem to recall that the manual suggests you can do this without disconnecting the brake line, though I've never accomplished that.