Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jul 1998 14:56:12 PDT
From:         Sean Bartnik <bartnik@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Heads installed...
Comments: To: type2@type2.com
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hey all, Another update on my low compression situation. You may recall that I discovered major cracking in both heads on my '81 Vanagon with air-cooled engine.

I wound up ordering rebuilt heads from AVP, through Bus Depot. The heads were $179 each, with a $50 core charge each, and $30 shipping. The total was close to $500, $100 of which will hopefully be speedily returned when I send the cores back to AVP.

The heads came sooner than expected. I was expecting them today or tomorrow, but they actually arrived on Friday the 24th. I went out of town for the weekend and after getting back home yesterday, today I got into putting the engine back together.

The heads look great, all clean with nice new valves :-)

After witnessing Steve's experience with the exhaust on his AVP heads, I decided to trial fit the exhaust to my heads before installing. I'm happy to say that one side immediately dropped into place and the other side did the same with a little wiggling. So it should be pretty easy to re-install the exhaust after engine installation.

So today I put the heads on, being careful to follow the proper tightening sequence for the head nuts and using a torque wrench. Got them on, then installed the air deflector tin under each set of cylinders. After that I put the pushrod tubes in, with new Viton seals from Ron @ Bus Depot. After that, of course, came the pushrods, then the rocker arms and the goofy pushrod tube retainer springs. Once I got all that good stuff in, I adjusted the valves, and found only one spongy lifter. Hopefully I have adjusted the valves correctly. We shall see when I try to start the engine :-) -- And I will likely adjust them again once I let it run briefly to pump up the spongy lifter.

After that, I put the valve covers on. Then it was time to start adding tin. I put on the over-cylinder tin on both sides, the front lower tin, the front upper tin, and the tin that goes at the rear of the cylinder heads. Then installed the fan housing, fan, cylinder head temp sensor (should have done this before installing the front upper tin!), intake manifolds, FI wiring harness (noticed that no labeling is needed, all the harness plugs are color-coded -- green = injectors, blue = cold start valve, brown = thermo-time switch, black = auxiliary air regulator), cleaned up the ground connections for the FI under the air distribution box, put on the distributor, vacuum hoses, fuel lines, alternator, timing scale and fan grille, EGR pipe, etc etc.

So now the engine sits on the floor completely assembled and ready to install. Not bad for 6 hours' work.

I'll keep the list posted on how it runs and compression readings.

Sean Bartnik Fairfax, Virginia ============================ '81 Vanagon L Westfalia '74 Karmann Ghia convertible http://www.type2.com/bartnik/tech.htm