Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jul 1998 23:57:24 -0100
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bently manual??
Comments: To: D1ARCHER@AOL.COM, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

> I've been on the list less than a week, but have noticed talk > about using the Bentley Have I got it correct that this is a manual > for the repair of the vanagons? I wasn't certain > whos to buy, ie: clymer, haynes, or Bentley???

The Bentley manual is the "official" factory service manual for the Vanagon (the one sold by the dealer for $90). I sell it for $63.95. The Haynes manual is supposedly sold only in England, but I import it and sell it stateside for $19.95 (including listmember discount), which is actually cheaper than it sells for there. The following is offered with the warning that if you put two Vanagon owners in a room, you will always get at least seven opinions about anything, so I would never claim it to be the final word. Check the archives if you'd like a sampling of opinions on the manuals.

The Bentley manual is very detailed and complete (at 1200 pages it had better be!). Part of this is because it covers all variations of the Vanagon, including aircooled, diesel, Syncro, and Westy (although the latter is primarily limited to component removal and reinstallation). The principal downside is that it is somewhat technical in orientation, being based on a dealer shop manual which was designed for professional mechanics.

The Haynes manual is more abbreviated (about 200 pages), but part of this is because it covers fewer versions of the Vanagon. Features specific to the Syncro are not covered, nor are the Westy interior, diesel, or aircooled models (Haynes prints a different book for the latter, which I sell as well). The 1.9 and 2.1 liter Vanagons are covered, although some minor differences may exist since it is geared toward the version sold in England (minor emissions differences, etc.). Haynes' approach is a little different, as they basically take apart and reassemble a sample vehicle in order to come up with their recommended procedures. So it is a little less complicated and in places a bit more "real world," if a bit less detailed.

Which to buy? Price not withstanding (and considering that I have a vested interest :-), my advice is, of course, to buy both. Seriously, I have found both to be equally important, in that one can serve to explain a procedure that is not clear in the other, and I personally would not settle for either one alone. (Bear in mind that one procedure could save you the cost of both books combined, versus paying today's shop rates for labor.) But if you were to pick just one, I suppose it may depend on your level of techical expertise. If you are a "seasoned" backyard mechanic, and would like the greater detail and wider model coverage that it affords, go with the Bentley. If not (or if your wallet will not allow), choose the Haynes, and maybe add the Bentley later.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW