Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Jul 1998 01:29:34 -0500
From:         Carl Hansen <carl_hansen@IEEE.ORG>
Subject:      Right Side Door Pocket DOES WORK!!
Comments: To: Vanagon Post <vanagon@vanagon.com>
Comments: cc: Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.CA

OK, I'm sorry, I have to say this - you're all bozo's. I had to say that. Sorry. Why do you all think this is such a bad thing to do. So what if it installs a few inches back of normal. It has wored for me for the last 3 years.

Many years ago I flipped my 1990 Vanagon Carat into a soft snowy ditch at 70 miles per hour. oops, but that gave me lots of parts

One of the first things I checked into installing was the - you guesed it - right hand side map pocket.

And yes, I noted that is has to be installed a few inches back so that I could open the glove box. I, of course, was going to use the map pocket from the driver side, installed on the passenger side. That's what I had.

What's with the "If I install it back I can't get into it" business. What I installed is back a bit, and I've got the fancy seats with arms in the '89 SyncroBeast, and don't have any problem accessing the pocket with the door closed, and of course, with it mounted back a bit, no problem with access to the glove box.

I don't have an official "RIGHT HAND SIDE MAP POCKET", I was going to use two left side units. But I bet that the holes mentioned in the door (fibre panel? it's been a while) are the same right and left. That means the driver and passenger side pockets are - yep - the same units. Am I right on that?? someone let me know about that, I'm curious. If theyr'e the same, every wrecked vanagon with an intact driver side door pocket is a candidate to use as a passenger side door pocket. As far as I'm concerned, it's a candidate anyway.

SOOO, did I instal two left side map pockets one on the right side, well, no. I installed two aftermarket map pockets I had bought 15 years earlier for one of my many loafs, and never got around to installing. The ONLY differences between the stock pocket and the after market pocket is..... the aftermarket units have cute molded in pockets for a pop can, and they are 6 inches longer. They are the same height and depth (or width, whichever)

Hint. Never ever mount a pop can holder on the door. Everytime you shut the door...... the pop sloshes out unless you have drunk it waaay down.

So.

Why is this listed in the Accessorizing Tragedies as a don't do?? The addition is straight forward and easy to accomplish. Just make sure you mount it back far enough to allow the glove box to open.

I vote to move the Right Map Pocket project to the "GOOD THING TO DO" list.

Ch '89 SyncroBeast Vanagon

'87 16V GTI w/ 2nd gear screaming like a banshee - not normal - use the 850 Yamaha a lot now. '87 16V GTI w/ hale damage '89 16V GTI w/ toasted motor, now on garage floor '86 Scirocco (8 valve w/ auto)

'80 850 Yamaha Special

Prior Lake, MinneSnowta well, ok, it's summer Land of Sky Blue Waters