Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Jul 1998 07:31:31 -0700
From:         vwmaster@VOLKS-MOTORSPORTS.COM
Subject:      Re: Kyle Wade ECU chip and rocker upgrade
Comments: To: Modl6971@AOL.COM
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

Michael Wrote, > Kyle, what is the latest news on the horsepower upgrade for the 87 or newer > waterboxer engines. A few months ago you posted this kit for about $800 and I > was wondering how many you've sold and what the response is on the kit. Is the > 30% horsepower increase still valid. Do have someone with this kit that can > reply to the list and let us know how much they like it. I'm certainly > interested in the kit, I just want to get some feed- back from some customers. > Thanks.

Michael & Listees,

The original response on this "Kit" was not as I expected. I had offered to let a certain listmember install it that the LIST would listen too basically without questioning his crediabilty. I found too many people worrying about the price of the Chip, "why shouldn't I buy the Rockers only etc.

For me to get the chip here to the US (Yes it's being made outside the US) it's cost's a good amount of time and money. I pay for the chips BEFORE I get them. If I buy 10 of them I get a better deal, if I buy them 1 at a time the kit price goes up from the $825.00 I had offered them at originally.

I've been on the List for a little while know, I do many things that are postive in this community IMO. I've bent over backwards more than once to assist a listmember or another Vanagon Owner in need. What I can't understand is that MANY of the Vanagon owners and listmemebers I know or listen too WANT MORE POWER.

Well, you're offered a product that WILL give you just that and you tear it to pieces?? Come on people. I couldn't belive how many of you picked apart the aspect of this kit instead of looking at it a little closer? Then the amount of people that (Coffee in hand) jumped on the bandwagon to tear at the information was alarming too.

I posted the Dyno Results on my web site as many asked for, a person with knowledge of the waterboxer engine will know that the HP is in the 85-90 HP range STOCK. If you read the Dyno Sheet you'll see that upon conversion from Din to HP the graph lowered the curves. Consistancy is the same just the #'s have moved. We all know that if our Vanagons had 60HP many of us would be driving a different model van.

Yes I have the kit installed in a SingleCab Syncro Vanagon here locally. I'm going to take it to the New Demensions Shop in Santa Clara and run it on their Dyno. A couple of problems here,

#1 We CAN'T run it with the Driveline on it because we don't have a 4WD Dyno.

#2 Single Cap Syncro (Pritchenwagen) weighs less than a Passenger van, Or a Westy so many of you will pick at that aspect too.

#3 ProjectZwo Muffler made by Sebring is installed on the Truck and it has a K&N and also Magana Core Plug Wires.

So I've been a little leary to run this vehicle then post the results from it due to the descrepancies between this truck and a passenger van?

I have a E-Mail from the owner of the Single Cab. He doesn't want to get FLOODED with e-mail so he had sent it to me to Post to the list. I've not posted due to the fact that I wasn't ready to deal with the large amount of e-mail that this topic creates. I'll NOW post it and I guess I'm as ready as I ever be to get this project moving.

Letter from Ray owner of the SingleCab Synco with Chip, Rockers,Pushrods, K&N, Magnacore wires AND ProjectZwo Muffler!

> To all you under powered Vanagon owners, > > My name is Ray Caamaño, and I am the proud owner of a 1986 single cab > syncro pickup or as they call it in German "pritchenwagen" . Now thanks > to the help of Kyle Wade at Volksmotorsports it has earned the name > "bitchin-wagen". > > Here's the story, > > This has been the most excellent machine you could imagine for all these > years, with one major drawback, even with the 2.1 motor it was under > powered, as most of you well know. > > Not to long ago, after I put a new engine in, I began looking for a way > to remedy this problem so I gave Kyle a call and he let me know about > these guys who were claiming some significant HP increases > with some bolt on equipment. > So, after thinking about it I called Kyle back and told him to get the > stuff , which consisted of some Berg bolt on ratio-rockers, new push > rods (which have to be cut to a length shorter than stock) and a chip > for the fuel injection computer. > Keep in mind, Kyle and I both had no idea if what these guys were saying > was true and it also sounded too good to be. > But we decided to to go for it with me being the guinea pig. > > Well we got the stuff and since I had quite a background in VW motors > from my early years, I did the installation at my shop. > > First I installed the rockers, and this by far is where I experienced > most of the HP gain. I estimate the increase at about 20% over stock. > > Next I installed the chip and picked up about another 5% with better MPG > and no increase in operating temperature. > > I was so impressed with this that I felt like I should go all the way and > add the additional recommendations which were, a K&N air > filter, Magnecore spark plug wires, Bosch 3-prong spark plugs and > synthetic oil. All this bought me about another 3%. > > Now I can do 75 -80 MPH down the freeway instead of barely 55 MPH bucking > a headwind. Now I don't even notice the headwinds. As some of you know > the syncro's are also a little more power hungry than the 2wd's so they > should be even more impressive. > > I'm sorry I don't have exact HP numbers, but the thing is in my truck and > all I can do is estimate. > > I probably would not have done this had it not been for Kyles help. He > provided all the info and tech support including calls to the chip maker and > making sure we got the right computers, etc. , etc. , and he continues > to help me get stuff for my truck I've never seen anywhere else, like > Projektzwo bumpers , fog lights, nerf bars, and exhaust system. > > I look at it this way after 12 years of incredible service it should be > time for a new truck , but they don't make anything this good even today, > so with a few grand in upgrades it's ready for the next 12 years and its > still better than anything new at any price. > > I know there will be many questions about all this and I would like to > answer all of them personally but I'm really busy as CEO of my company > ,so I will have to direct you to Kyle who is familiar with the whole > installation. I do talk to Kyle regularly so if there are any questions > he can't answer he can pass them on to me. > > Stay tuned: > This summer or fall I might do a stroker motor upgrade, which consists of > a modified type 1 stroker crank, custom pistons and big valve heads. > After this I will decide if it still might need a Boxter motor. > > Happy Motoring, > Ray

I hope some of you find this info helpful. I will be posting the results of the Dyno run on the web site as soon as we get that done, hope to do it this week but it might not get done until Next week, either way I'll post to this list that the NEW results are up!

Kyle

--

Kyle Wade (408) 426-1431 OR (408) 429-9424 Keeper of the Volks-Motorsports page Home Page - http://www.volks-motorsports.com ICQ # 3882975