Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Jul 1998 11:13:59 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Kyle Wade ECU chip and rocker upgrade
Comments: To: vwmaster@VOLKS-MOTORSPORTS.COM
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

>Michael & Listees, > > The original response on this "Kit" was not as I expected. I had >offered to let a certain listmember install it that the LIST would >listen too basically without questioning his crediabilty. I found too

Still a good idea. I bet Dennis would do it. I think he said he *would* do it.

> Well, you're offered a product that WILL give you just that and you >tear it to pieces?? Come on people. I couldn't belive how many of you >picked apart the aspect of this kit instead of looking at it a little >closer? Then the amount of people that (Coffee in hand) jumped on the >bandwagon to tear at the information was alarming too.

We *have* to tear it apart so we can get a feel for the tradeoffs of the project. We *need* to hear the bad so we can accept the good.

This is nothing against you. Don't take it personally. I won't buy much of anything until after I have heard something bad about it. That way, I know what I am getting in to.

Look. We all talked about 134a for about two years until the floodgates opened. Now everybody is doing it and the original pronouncements that we would destroy our A/C systems or had to change all the hoses turned out to be incorrect. Changing our behavior takes time. But once the floodgates open, they open.

I see FastGermanAuto has a similar kit. This adds credibility to the whole concept. Since you are with us here on the list and they are not, you are first in our minds for this project. I do think we need real dyno tests, however, and then additional discussion of the idea that those rockers are going to cause premature wear.

> #1 We CAN'T run it with the Driveline on it because we don't have a >4WD Dyno.

Just take out the drive shaft and test it as a 2WD.

As for the horsepower test, just get someone else with a syncro pickup 2.1 over there and test that car too. _____________________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY & Washington DC ConsumerSearch drew@interport.net 212-580-6486 (W) 212-580-4459; 202-966-0938 (H)