Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Jul 1998 20:46:26 PDT
From:         Sean Bartnik <bartnik@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Engine installed...
Comments: To: type2@type2.com
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hey all, Another update.

Yesterday I finished assembling my engine with new AVP heads. This evening Steve Dolan came over to help with the install. Us two plus my dad and brother were able to move that engine around with no problems. We got it up on the jack, got everything into place, and had a remarkably easy time getting the engine and the transmission mated. Then we had a further remarkably easy time getting the bolts up through the bearer bar and through the van's frame. This all went quite well. Steve and I spent the next 2.5 hours hooking up all the ancillaries and tightening everything up. Around 11 we finally finished, and arrived the MOMENT OF TRUTH.

Key in hand, I confidently stepped toward the driver's door, opened it, watched the dome light NOT come on and I had an epiphany!! "THE BATTERY!" I exclaimed.

Well after hooking up the battery I again walked confidently to the driver's door, opened it, watched the dome light come on :-) -- inserted the key, turned it to "on" -- "we have warning lights" says I. Then I go to "start" RrRrRrRr. Stop. No gas in the fuel lines, I remember, I figured it would take some extra cranking to get going this first time. Do it again, RrRrRrRrrrVROOOMMMPUTTPUTTPUTTPUTT. "Hmm" I say, "Is that a lifter or is that exhaust?" Sounded a bit loud and explosive-like to be a lifter. I do a quick walk-around and sure enough, I find an exhaust leak between the left side heat exchanger and head. So I shut it down, I will leave that for tomorrow. I probably just have the damn exchanger cocked on the mounting studs or something.

But the engine is in, and it started and ran on its own :-) -- yeehaw! Tomorrow I will pull that heat exchanger and check it out. Once I get the exhaust leak fixed I will drive it and then do a compression test. I'll keep you all posted.

Sean Bartnik Fairfax, Virginia ============================ '81 Vanagon L Westfalia '74 Karmann Ghia convertible http://www.type2.com/bartnik/tech.htm