Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:21:15 -0100
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Luggage Rack Seal, Wind Noise and Solution
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

> However, during a test drive I encountered a strong buffeting din > from wind induced vibration of the luggage rack at speeds above 50 mph. > > Noting that I merely set the rack in place on the roof and tightened the > constraining screws, I decided to preload the top to remove the > air gap at the seal. Using my available resources > I clambered up into the luggage rack, released all the side screws, then > retightened them. After release (and me in the rack), the rack dropped > somewhat more than 1 mm all around as evidenced by the new location of the > screw heads and the residual rust stains on the fiberglass. > Result ... no wind noise up to unmentionable velocities. Water poured into the > luggage rack still seeps out slowly. Success.

A couple of points here regarding Frank's excellent post. First, I will provide a luggage rack seal with an insulation bulb for $10 more on request. But I remain convinced that this is not a good idea unless neccessary. The original VW design (which did NOT use a bulb) calls for rainwater to drain out from under the luggage rack, a process which can be impeded by a bulb. Repositioning the seal (or the rack in Frank's case) slightly will solve any wind problem, which occurs in about one out of every 40-50 seals installed, so it is rare to begin with. This will also maintain the original design's drainage capability. I am not sure why one person here or there experiences a wind noise and the rest don't, unless it is perhaps that their luggage rack is slightly higher off the body or they have pushed the seal up slightly higher. I should note that it is NOT neccessary to remove the luggage rack to install the seal, as Frank did (although perhaps he removed it to clean it anyway).

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW