Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Jul 1998 19:43:23 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      Re: fog light switch--how to rig it 3 way
Comments: To: RStone3567@aol.com
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

I rigged up the fogg lamp so when it is in the left position, the fogg lamps are off. When it is in the middle position, it only comes on with the low beams (this is the legal setting). When it is in the right position it comes on any time the parking lights, high or low beams are on, provided the ignition key is also in the middle/on position. Any time the fog lamps are on, the little light in the switch is also illuminated.

It would take me an hour to drag out my wiring diagram for this setup so I will need about 12 or more listies to beg me to do it. Otherwise it is too hard for me to do. I think it only took me about a week of pondering to figure out how to make the switch do this.

I pitty anyone who has their fogg lamps hooked up without this kind of 3 way operation, which I use and value.

I think one key was finding unused connection points in the fuse box and/or main light switch which would supply current under various of these conditions I am describing. I think I added a wire to take current out of that main headlight switch for this purpose, and ran that wire to a relay or something. To do this without my help, just study your factory wiring diagram a whole lot. You will find an unused pin in your headlight switch.

(Legally, you are not supposed to have fog lamps come on with the high beams in some states, by the way.)

At 03:40 PM 7/19/98 -0400, you wrote: >Derek, > >Saw your post referring to the three-way wiring of your fog lights. I'm >wondering if you might attempt to explain the procedure. I've purchased the >P. Z. lights, the VW switch and have M. Sullivan's diagram. I believe, if I >understand your described setup, that it creates more lighting options and >would be preferable to Michael's. I'm a moron when it comes to these things, >but with a diagram or an explanation in layman's terms, I might just manage >it. Also, discovered a rubber plug at the base of steering column, under >carpet, would this be the "sealed hole thru fire wall" or is there one >elsewhere? Thanks for any assistance you might offer. > > Sincerely, > Roger Stone > 1990 Westfalia

________________________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY & Washington, DC drew@interport.net '90 Syncro Westfalia... ...seen off-road at http://www.tiu.net/~des/vw/drew/index.html

Also seen at: http://www.pipeline.com/~tforhan/swrange.htm http://4wd.sofcom.com/VW/snow.html http://www.pipeline.com/~tforhan/swmassn.htm http://4wd.sofcom.com/VW/Campers/Campers.html

Note: most valuable Vanagon sites on the planet (for owners) are: http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?S1=vanagon ftp://gerry.vanagon.com/pub/