Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Jul 1998 23:42:07 -0700
From:         DAVID MOST <most@UCLA.EDU>
Subject:      salvage title westfalia
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

After being on this list for over three years, and considering the seemingly increasing variability in prices, I realize that the question I'm about to ask doesn't have a correct answer. However, since I could used some less biased opinions, I thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm talking about an '87, full camper that a a meeting with a deer in the front. Though it was totalled by the insurance company, the current owner bought it back with the intention of fixing since he had spent$5000 at the dealer on repairs just prior to this trip where he met the deer. It's in excellent shape cosmetically inside and out, the appliances all work, and it has been maintained quite well with almost all being performed by a dealer. Some other details:135k, right head/gasket and left gasket, clutch, and many other parts replaced at 132k. He's shown me between 11,000 and 13,000 worth of receipts from the dealer repairs over the years.

The front end damage didn't seem to affect the drivability, but I've been told that the A/C can't be repaired because the condenser won't fit. (Might it be possiblt to use a condenser of a different size?)

This vanagon look nice and drives well. The guy who's selling it is very honest about everything, and he'll donate it to get the tax deduction if I don't buy it.

A salvage title scares most people off, and perhaps that's for good reason. It certainly lowers the value of this vanagon, but at what price do y'all think it would be worth obtaining this westfalia?

If nothing else, it has two working power windows and the rear wiper works and the roof vent isn't cracked....that's gotta be worth a few bucks.

Thanks for any suggestions, david