Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Jul 1998 07:03:05 -0700
From:         Lawrence Dongilli <buspilot@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: ECU Chip Upgrade Info.
Comments: To: Vanagon <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Jerry Granito wrote:

> << The chip should have sufficient > capacity to handle additional headwork, cam changes and exhaust work (but > to what degree I did not fully explore). Even a three angle valve job > would be a worthwhile improvement. Richard did wisely recommend a valve > spring upgrade if one departs from the profile of the stock cam. >> > > > And where might one find an aftermarket camshaft for the old waterboxer?

......well, check into the possibility that the old air cooled Type 1 cam may drop in. I am very new to the Wasserboxer (my prior experience all spent on Type 1/2/3 and old 911), but I have gotten the feeling from talking to some folks recently that the cam is one area (as well as the rockers/valve covers/maybe oil pump) where there is still parts interchange with the Type 1. Supposedly the stock cam profile of the Vanagon is quite similar to the Type 1...except for the hydraulic aspect. I think at least the cam itself may fit....but I don't know about the gear. It is quite possible that it may fit too. Worse case is that there may be some minor mods to do to the parts involved. Take a good look at the pictures Bentley book. It sure looks to me to be a spitting image of a Type 1 cam arrangement.

Unfortunately, I cannot speak from personal experience on any of the above, only word of mouth. My wife and I have had our first Wasserboxer, a 1987 Syncro, for about six weeks now. I guess I am a little slow, as I still haven't yet taken the engine apart. =B7D

Anyway, check into the possibilities. I am looking for data like everyone else. This so-called parts interchange is one of the things that interested me in the Wasserboxer. It is very interesting to me to note that VW made a water cooled version of the Type 1 rather than the newer at the time: the Type 4. It is striking to compare a Wasserboxer case and a Type 1 case side by side.

Lawrence Dongilli

87 Syncro 71 Transporter 69 Beetle 69 Squareback 66 Dormobile 54 Beetle