Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Jul 1998 08:00:19 PDT
From:         "Cort, Joel" <Joel.Cort@USA.XEROX.COM>
Subject:      New Syncro Westy Purchase  and  belt/Drivetrain questions

Well I did it, I took the plunge and purchased a 1989 Westy Syncro. I had been lurking on the list for the past 3 years checking every FS posting and van listing at the various web sites. My wife still thinks I'm nuts. So I have to tell you folks because you at least understand the passion for these immortal things. Obviously I spent some formative years in VW vans. This one is a beauty, metallic red, with the power options and alloys. I did not find this through the Internet/list but the old fashion way of calling the dealer at the right time when they had just received a trade-in. So I dragged the wife and kids for a 4 hour drive to Oneonta NY, The only NY dealer that sells the EuroBagos. Checked out the van for several hours. Found all the things wrong. Attempted to barter on the price, but they held their price. They said there were 3 other buyers ready to jump on it if I didn't want it. Bought it anyway with the things wrong figuring that I now have a new hobby. Drove it home to Rochester, exchanging kids at various stops along the road. They love it and we will take it camping on the maiden voyage in the Adirondack this weekend. Sorry we will miss the LiMBO crowd at Lake Placid!

Thanks to all the list members that have been, helpful with suggestions and providing detailed information on what to look for and where to find the hidden quirks with Westys and Syncros.

I would be grateful and would appreciate any words of wisdom on the few quirks/things wrong I've discovered on this van. Please reassure my judgment on the purchase because of the following annoyances:

1) The brand new power steering fan belt keeps popping off the pulley and getting caught between all the metal stuff and the driveshaft. There is now a nice V cut and nasty rubber smell. What is a good remedy to keep the belt from popping off? - I'm putting on brand new belt this afternoon.

2) Yeah, I checked out the Dometic fridge and figured that I could get it working. It does not appear to work on 12vDC and I get a 'poof" on the LP but, I'm willing to take this apart and clean it up to get it running. Thanks to all the great web sites with Fridge advice. Hopefully I can fix it?

3) Probably the most detrimental here on this purchase. All gears shift flawlessly but as 3rd gear peaks, around 50 MPH and up there is continuous loud(er) tone/hum coming from the drive train. It sounds like an aging bearing of some sort. OR? is it worst? Could this be something much major that may require $$$$ to fix? I am only familiar with the 2WD models and don't recall such road noise. Is this a Syncro quirk or are there CVs going out? Oh yeah It has 4 identical Goodyear 205R/14 (looks like sports car tires). Wish they would of called me at the dealer before putting on these and I would have suggested the Yoko's, but these are nice and quiet for the freeway driving. We will see in the Rochester snow. Yeah the van came from California and no rust anywhere - Yet.

Thanks all for the presence of this list and any comforting words of wisdom.

Joel Cort 89 Westy Syncro