Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Jul 1998 20:14:36 -0700
From:         Lawrence Dongilli <buspilot@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      ECU/Ratio Rocker Info
Comments: To: Vanagon <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Derek Drew wrote:

>We need to have some additional discussion of these points of Dennis Haynes:

>The down side of this is increased valve guide wear >from the increased valve travel and the increase operating angle of the >rocker working against the valve.

I'll talk about the Berg rockers here because they are the only ratio rockers I personally own (1.4:1):

In a nutshell, the big advantage to a ratio rocker is you get a larger movement out of the valve with a minimum amount of movement from the rest of the valve train. The increased rocker ratio gives you a greater travel at the valve for a given lift at the lobe. This means that reciprocating mass is greatly reduced because the only part that is being accelerated/decelerated at a higher rate is the valve and it's _directly_ related components (spring, retainer, keeper and valve end of the rocker arm). When the extra lift is gained by using a high lift cam with stock rockers, the _entire_ valve train must now respond (all the above _plus_ the pushrod and the lifter itself). All this adds up to a lot of extra inertia.....which takes more valve spring pressure to control. This is one reason to move the adjustment screw to the other (slower) side of the arm (as is typical)....the effective inertia is further reduced, helping to keep valve float under control. I think this may be the primary argument against roller tip rockers......the roller and bearings add a lot of extra mass/inertia to the valve end of the rocker.

From a power perspective, the mere addition of ratio rockers will increase the valve lift without increasing the basic duration. This will tend to broaden the overall power band without the sacrifice of bottom end power. A lot of the effectiveness of the ratio rocker depends upon the intake/exhaust flow capability. Eventually, one can reach a point of diminishing return....where adding yet more lift yields a smaller gain in airflow (the same thing can happen with big carbs, big cams or big valves when added by themselves). This is where porting and polishing/larger size pipes/etc. come into play. I think it is quite evident from looking at the curves from Vintage Vee Dub on Kyle's webpage that the Wasserboxer seems to respond _quite_ well to the extra airflow. I _believe_ the rockers used are the Berg 1.4:1, the smallest ratio in their lineup. The Type 1 engines also responded well to the addition of the ratio rockers on an otherwise stock engine. Can anyone tell me off the top of their heads what the stock rocker ratio is for the Vanagons?

If the ratio rocker is properly designed, there will actually be a_reduced_ side load on the valve stem. When you move the rocker fulcrum point closer to the pushrod you are, in other words, increasing the radius of travel of the part of the rocker acting on the valve. Essentially, the larger you make the radius, the closer the arc comes to being a straight line...the theoretical perfect (yet physically unobtainable) rocker. It is one of those things you can approach forever but never reach. The flatter the arc of the valve end of the rocker, the less lateral movement (sideload/scrubbing) acting on the stem. If, instead, you run a high lift cam with a stock ratio (1.1:1 for example in the air cooled Type 1 and 1.3:1, I believe, in the Type 4) there will be _at least_ stock and likely higher side loads since the original smaller arc radius is retained.....and now, with the higher lift cam, you are asking it to rotate further than it did before. As long as you are sane with cam selection, this won't be a really big problem. When you run a really aggressive profile with a stock rocker, wear and tear can be significantly accelerated.

Another benefit can come from the proper machining of the valve contact face of the ratio rocker. If the valve contact face on the rocker arm is machined to the proper radius, the face will effectively _roll_ across the face of the valve stem. This is one reason it is a good idea to make sure the faces on your stock valve adjust screws are in good shape. Did you ever notice the radius on their faces (at least when they were new)? If you have worn adjusting screws that have flats on the faces, the screw is being _scrubbed_ back and forth across the valve stem face....rather than rolling across it. I know some folks like to use the so called swivel foot/bigfoot adjuster screws (a stock item on the 911)....and I have used them myself. I have often wondered about their effect on valve stem/guide wear since there is _zero_ rolling action.....sliding only...on the stem face. I am presuming (hoping) that, because of its larger contact area, the face of the swivel foot is actually riding on an oil cushion on the valve stem face....because they seem to work well enough. I suppose their biggest benefit is that they should help prevent the rocker tip from 'mushrooming'....but that is another topic. The Berg ratio rockers put the adjusting screw on the opposite (pushrod) end of the rocker. A special cupped screw that mates with the pushrod is used. The end acting on the valve face is oversize and ground to a specific radius that lets it roll across the valve face. Very nice....much more contact area with the valve stem face than a standard adjusting screw too. I've got an air-cooled Berg engine at home that was in two different Busses (lower gear ratios/higher revving) over the years with over 50k miles on it with very happy valve stems being actuated by 1.4:1 rockers. It is sitting on an engine stand simply because I don't have anything to put it in at the moment. I suppose a roller tip rocker may do pretty well in this regard, likely reducing side loads to virtually zero....you would just have the mass/inertia issue to deal with. Perhaps it is not as much of an issue on a slower revving engine, though. I believe there are a couple of production car manufacturers that are now using roller tip rockers.....perhaps in the luxury domain?

The only real issue here (at least mechanically) is that of increased pressure between the cam lobes and lifter faces. When the rocker ratio is increased (shorter lever on the input and longer lever on the output), basic leverage physics dictates that it takes more force acting on the lifter to move the assembly. Everything is multiplied....linear movement of the valve _and_ linear force need to overcome spring pressure. Gene Berg said that as long as metallurgy between the lobe and lifter is correct and proper break-in procedures are followed, there should be no problem with wear here. I asked Richard Holzl at Vintage Vee Dubs about cam/lifter wear in the Vanagon and he stated he has not had any problems in this area.

>Dennis also worries about having a richer mixture damaging the catalyst.

Sure, a rich mixture will cause problems......but again, if you run the chip by itself _or_ the chip and the ratio rockers _together_....the mixture is supposed to be proper. There will _only_ be a problem if you run the ratio rockers _by themselves_ without the necessary chip change. Richard made this point very clear to me.....stressing it several times. He has even mentioned re-releasing the dyno plots with the particular curves _deleted_ showing _rocker change only_ because it seems to be causing a fair bit of confusion. It is not even supposed to be a discussion issue.

Lawrence Dongilli