Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Aug 1998 14:29:33 -0400
From:         Mark Rokus <marokus@VOYAGER.NET>
Subject:      Re: ECU Chip Upgrade Info.
Comments: To: vwmaster@VOLKS-MOTORSPORTS.COM
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

First, I second the cudo's for Richard. This is the kind of info that I believe inquiring minds want to know. Second, Kyle, As someone who has obviously spent some time since leaving the turnip truck, you should appreciate the questioning attitude that the list has sent your direction. This list is pretty much open to all reasonable participants and it is not unusual for someone to support a mod that is a little optimistic. I don't think this was intended to be a personal challenge as to your integrity, instead, a reasonable exploring of an idea that would be incredible if we find out all of the tradeoffs. Remember when a power pulley was thought the be the answer? Sure you saved some power spinning the fan, but longevity suffered. When I raced a beetle, every option was explored if I thought it would help. But then again, I sort of expected to be pulling the engine every couple of weeks. Thats the game in that arena. My Vanagons are daily drivers and I don't care to be doing a rebuild annually. When I broke my beetle, I could just walk away for a while or put in a spare motor. I don't want that situation in my (or my wife's) van. After looking at Vintage VeeDub's web site, I felt a lot more comfortable with their understanding of what they are doing. I hope to be able pull a trailer with the best of them in my Syncro and this might be the answer. I just know from personal experience that the scool of hard knocks can have a pretty high tuition. (like the '81 westy that I have that is stroked, still trying to get the FI right.) In summary, please don't be discouraged by the challenges you're recieving, that's how an idea gets refined and proven. Let's just all remember that personal slams do nothing to forward the cause. Thank you Kyle for your efforts. Mark Rokus