Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Jul 1998 16:01:57 -0400
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.CA>
Subject:      Re: Nova Scotia Camping
Comments: To: scaslowitz@BERKSHIRESCHOOL.ORG
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

Steve: I can help you more if I knew where you plant to enter NS, Yarmouth?, Digby?, through NB??? and how long you plan to stay???

All of the Provincial and National parts are nice. Especially Cape Bretton is very nice, lots of short hikes, if your lucky you’ll see moose and small bears. Be sure to go to the A.G. Bell museum and Fort Louisburg (working museum).

As you enter NS, be sure to get the "Doers and Dreamers" guide, it has a lot of info. and campgrounds listed.

try 1-800- 565--0000 for info or http://explore.gov.ns.ca/

If you have time - I’d drive up through Maine (Acadia Nat’l Park), through NB and into NS, (extension here would be to go around the Gaspe Penn. in Quebec and back to NS) then take the ferry to PEI - across PEI (west to east), ferry back to NS. Up to Cape Bretton (here is another great extension - ferry to Newfoundland - up the west coast (to the top) - back across the north coast to the east coast - ferry back to NS) - down through NS to Yarmouth and ferry back to USA. It will take a bit longer to drive that than it took me to type it, but it would be great and you’d see it all. Obviously, this course could be reversed.

I’m off to Michigan (driving the van) this Saturday - so if you have any specific info you need - better snap at it while I’m here.

Also go to your local public library and get a tour book on Canada (Let’s Go, or Lonely Planet, etc.), and it will tell you ALL you need to know and more. (or buy one from the local book store - no time for www.Amazon.com). If your into hiking, there is a good book “Hiking Trails of Nova Scotia” Local book stores here would have it.

Visit: http://www.vanagon.com/vendors/shops.html?#ontario for good repair shops. Jeff Hogue is Volkswagen trained (maybe certified) and worked for several years at Hillcrest Volkswagen in Halifax. Jeff also has propane 'papers'. Jeff salvaged the '91 Syncro Westy (that I now own) from the junk- yard (engine box fire) and had rebuild/restore a lot. He has also recently restored an '81 Westy that I used to own). If nothing else, Jeff can get a vanagon patched up back on the road. He is located a bit out of the way - about 1 hour south of Halifax in Blandford. I have found him to be very honest and competent. (1.902.228.2225)"

Good luck. Malcolm S.