Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Jul 1998 23:28:47 -0500
From:         Carl Hansen <carl_hansen@IEEE.ORG>
Subject:      Re: RV, SU recalls
Comments: To: Vanagon Post <vanagon@vanagon.com>
Comments: cc: craddock@DVWS01.CAHWNET.GOV

As I recall, having had both done a while ago:

Fuel Injectors: They replace Fuel Infectors AND fuels lines in the engine compartment. Don't remember why, leaky fuel lines?? Should be straight forward.

Air Conditioner Ducts: They drop the Air Cond. ducts down from the front of the van all the way to the back. They do not, to my knowledge, drop the rear condensor housing, nor do they go into the side pillar. All they do is replace fender washers that hold up the ducts with a metal plate (maybe 2" x 6") that fits across left to right. At issue was possibilty that ducts could come down in accidents. (they did when I rolled '90 Carat)

I see no reason not to do either one, however, before you bring in the Van for the job, carefully check your duct work for ANY cracks, especially in the corners where the Sun Visors attach. Document what you find, write it down, take a picture, point it out to your service tech, especially if your ducts are NOT cracked.

Then before you do so much as even pay for the job check out the workmanship. Look for the following:

* It's easy to get plastic seals between duct members squished, it's just as easy to fit them correctly.

* Also check VERY closely, the Sun Visors and the corners of the front duct. The bracket that screws to the body (left corner drivers side, right corner passenger side) can be reversed 180 degrees. When the mechanic does that, and does not correct the situation, just screws down the screws, the duct work CAN crack in the corner.

The ducts are light enough tht there is no reason you should have to live with cracks in the corners cause the mechanic wasn't careful.

********* If the mechanics are half way competent, they shouldn't screw up anything. Of course, any time I actually have the dealer do work, rather than I do it myself, I ALWAYS check over what they do, and look for - colateral damage -.

I had my 78 Scirocco in once, for I forget what, and they had droped the Windshield Washer tank onto the alternator. Not too far down the road, I was loosing washer fluid thru the hole worn in the tank. Not a big deal, but I didn't feel I should have paid to replace the tank.

BOTTOM lINE:

Now I always check for loose pieces, not tight bolts and nuts, any thing out of place, and anything not as it should seem.

<<SNIP>> Original messag, with comments added.

I received a recall notice on my '90 vanagon, codes RV, SU.

My AC is in need of a recharge. Since I don't know where the leak is should I try to have that fixed while they "Secure" the ducts, or will they be opening the pillar?

**NOT RELATED, IF YOU ASK, THERE IS NO SAVINGS IN TIME DUE TO THE RECALL. RECALL IS ONLY THE OVERHEAD DUCT WORK THAT CARRY AIR.**

I remember several posts about black debris from deteriorating seals. Will these be replaced, or should I specifically request that?

**DON"T KNOW, HAVEN"T HAD THE PROBLEM, AND TO BE HONEST, CAN'T REMEMBER THAT THERE ARE any SEALS THAT WOULD DETERIORATE IN THE AIR CONDITIONER DUCT WORK.##

What is the problem with my fuel injectors?

** CAN'T REMEMBER. Maybe it was possible leaky fuel lines.

Ch '89 SyncroBeast Vanagon

'87 16V GTI '87 16V GTI w/ hale damage '89 16V GTI w/ toasted motor '86 Scirocco (8 valve w/ auto)

'80 850 Yamaha Special

Prior Lake, MinneSnowta well, ok, it's summer Land of Sky Blue Waters