Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Aug 1998 09:41:00 -0700
From:         Lawrence Dongilli <buspilot@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Check your grounds
Comments: To: Vanagon <vanagon@vanagon.com>

I found an interesting problem this week working on the A/C system in our '86 Syncro. While troubleshooting erratic A/C clutch cycling, I discovered that one of the two blower motors in the evaporator housing was not functioning. I wondered if there was supposed to be some sort of 'sequence' to their operation but, according to the Bentley schematics, they are always supposed to come on together. Since the left blower _was_ working, that pretty much validated the relay components on the (+) side since the paths are common (except, perhaps, for a severed wire). The only items that were not common to both sides were the load resistors. They checked out. Next, I looked at the ground side wiring. These are two independent paths to ground. I opened up the inline connector to isolate that path (wire connector T2a on p. 97.140 of the Bentley Vanagon repair manual). From this point, each of the two conductors goes through a 20A fuse to ground. Simple enough, but only one conductor actually measured continuity to ground! I pulled and examined the fuses (again)....they were fine. I measured from fuse sockets to ground and, again, one measured continuity and one did not. Now, at this point, I can see the entire two foot piece of wire running from the fuse socket to a grounding post (all of this is under the left rear C pillar cover)....and it _looks_ fine....no breaks. Funny, if I probe from the fuse socket to the ground _lug_......no continuity. If I probe from the fuse socket to the wire that is crimped _inside_ the lug I show continuity again! At this point, I disconnect the ground lug and inspect.

Much to my complete surprise, I found what appears to be a _factory_ bad crimp. The lug has two crimping areas - one to crimp on the copper conductor (hopefully making positive electrical contact in the process) and the other to crimp the insulation (to act as a strain relief). Obviously, the insulation should be stripped back far enough to allow full contact with the first (electrical) crimp, but leave enough to allow the second (strain) crimp to grip the insulation. In this case, virtually the entire (90-95%) of the crimping area of the lug that was supposed to make electrical contact was instead gripping _insulation_! The wire had not been stripped back far enough. Two of the three lugs on this particular grounding post had this problem! I was able to pull the lug off the wire with a firm tug (not usually possible with a proper crimp). I gently opened up the crimped area slightly (it was already oversized) to allow easier reinsertion of the wires. After some cleanup and prep of the wires, I applied a little flux, the wires were reinserted, recrimped and _soldered_. I had some spare lugs on hand in case these gave me troubles....but there was so little 'prying' I had to do to open up the crimps that I decided it was OK to reuse them, as they were much heavier duty than the ones I had as a replacement. The third lug looked proper, but I fluxed it and flowed some solder on it too just for good measure. Lo and behold, when I reconnected everything.......both fans now spun up in unison. The right hand fan is likely in 'NOS' condition since I doubt it has ever been run! Each of the blowers by themselves pack quite a wallop (note the 20A fuse), so it is entirely possible that the A/C could be used without knowing one blower is inop.....especially if it was that way in the beginning. I suppose if you started with two working blowers and one quit.....you might notice. Afterwards, I didn't notice a whole lot of extra pressure.....perhaps just a bit more volume when all the vents are open.

When we purchased our '86 Syncro about six weeks or so ago, I took it by the dealer for them to inspect and tune the injection system. They called me up and said our Syncro had 'flaky gounds' and that it is not unusual for Vanagons to have grounding problems 'as they age'. Their technician would have to redo all the grounds in the engine compartment. OK.....I said 'make it so'. When the Syncro came back, I inspected the engine compartment and found all the lugs on the grounding posts had been replaced and soldered. The soldering job quality was good.....no blobs, nice wetting, no melted insulation. Anyway, I can't help but wonder if this so called 'aging problem' is nothing more than bad factory crimps, as I described above with the A/C wiring. The crimps I have described would have been grounds (no pun intended) for a recall.....if they had been found. If it happened to ours, I do not doubt that there are others out there with the same problem. Even if continuity has not broken completely, it is still possible to have a high resistance crimp or one that will make intermittent contact.

I question whether 12 years (in our case) is enough time for a _proper_ crimp to develop continuity problems. A _proper_ crimp will have mechanical strength, will be gas tight and should last for a looooong time.

Just keep an eye open for this sort of thing. Make it a habit to be looking at/checking crimps (on _all_ electrical connections...not just grounds) and such when you happen to have your head under the lid tinkering.

Regards,

Lawrence Dongilli