Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Aug 1998 00:33:31 -0500
From:         Darrell Boehler <midwesty@TAOS.MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: mixture adjustment without gas analyzer
Comments: To: Spitzwagen@AOL.COM, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

----------------------- Hi Dan, The oxygen sensor should be hot and providing the digifant with voltage / mixture signal in about 2 minutes when starting a cold engine. At this point the ECU will control the mixture based on this voltage. It attempts to keep the oxygen sensor voltage at 0.5 volts. This is an impossible task as the ECU keeps correcting the mixture above and below the ideal mixture resulting in the the oxygen sensor voltage bouncing above and below 0.5 volts. The oxygen sensors often go bad and cause rich mixture and / or rough idle. Several list vendors have them for a pretty good price and they are fairly easy to replace. Use anti-seize compound on the threads. You may want to unplug the oxygen sensor for a short test and your van should run ok but with a richer mixture without the sensor. It is best to have a CO tester to adjust the mixture screw. This adjustment only effects the idle mixture and only until the oxygen sensor is hot and the ECU takes the con.

Darrell Boehler Makanda Illinois

-----Original Message----- From: Dan Hall <Spitzwagen@AOL.COM> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Sunday, August 02, 1998 8:55 PM Subject: mixture adjustment without gas analyzer