Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Aug 1998 16:33:59 -0400
From:         zyno <zyno@DC.INFI.NET>
Subject:      86 Westy Temp Guage Question?
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hi folks, I need some help. I recently bought an 86 westy in good shape but had cooling problems. Before I could drive her I had to change the head gaskets, thermostat housing and 4 bent pushrods. I did the work my self and consider the job done correctly.

The problem is...from the first day after the repair, if you let the Van idle for approx. 15 min., the temperature guage suddenly drops and occasionally when this happens, the expansion tank bubbles violently. The engine does not seem to be overheating at this point. If you turn off the engine and wait 5 minutes, the guage returns to normal and off I go.

This does not happen when I am driving the Van. It only happens while idleing. I have put 1800 miles with no problems other then this. I have attempted to bleed the cooling system a few times. I don't know if I'm doing it incorrectly and trapping air in the system? Would anyone agree that the sudden temperature guage dropping is a sign that air has replaced the fluid surrounding the sensor? As well as the bubbling in the expansion tank?

So the question is; Could it be the sensor ( I kind of doubt it myself)? Is it possible that I sucking air in the system? ie: vacuum??? Is it possible I just don't know how to bleed the cooling system? (Likely?) Is it possible I screwed up the head gasket job??? (the Vans been running grear for 1800 miles so far)

Any help or suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

Thanks Tony