Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Aug 1998 17:59:32 EDT
From:         S Sittservl <Ssittservl@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: A/C ducting
Comments: To: sneakers@OZ.NET, vanagon@vanagon.com
Comments: cc: SSittser@aol.com

> From: sneakers@OZ.NET (Stephen Arbaugh) > To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM > > I'm looking for some brainstorming here (and I think this is the right > place!:) > > I have an '85 westy with the A/C blower in the back (like most others), and > while the weather up here in the Seattle area doesn't get too hot for too > long, travels in the southwest have made me wonder about ducting some of > that nice cool air up to the front. My thoughts are to use the duct over > the sliding door: block off the vents in the roof that come from the fresh > air inlet, and use the added space to pipe air from the ac unit to behind > the passengers head, put a vent opening there. (If you look behind the two > vents over the sliding door, you'll see some space between the actual roof > vent outlets and the added metal for the curtain track) I have also looked > at the drivers side, maybe doing something similar there, but have not come > up with any really good ideas yet. Any thoughts? > > The a/c seems to be up to snuff, gets the rear of the van cool, but even > with the vents aimed straight at the space between front seats, it just > doesn't beat the heat of sun thru the windshield. I've even tried to think > of somehow modifying the front section of the roof ac from a non-westy van, > but again, no brilliant ideas. Whadda y'all think? > > steve > '85 westy > kent, wa

Steve -

Well, I've been thinking about this a lot lately myself, since I have the same problem - the front of the van never gets cool. I've had the chance to look into it further, though, because of a more immediate A/C problem: shredded black foam has been blowing from the vent slots for a while now. After some discussion on the list, and taking the van to a VW garage that wimped out and really didn't do much about the problem, I decided I had to take down that box on the ceiling myself, find out what was happening, and fix it. Doing that also requires taking down the curtain rail/tray on the driver's side. Here are some things of interest that I found out:

(1) The curtain rail and plastic A/C vent shroud come down reasonably easily. The wooden box that houses the evaporator (the one with the speakers in it) is really a bear to take down. Worse, it's a big ugly mean bear to get back up. This is due to the weight, the fact that it's overhead, and the fact that you're trying to route too-short wires and hoses through too-small openings in awkward locations while you're trying to put it up. Just about squashed my poor wife a couple of times while she was helping me with it. I think it took us about two hours.

(2) My blowing, shredded foam was primarily a disintegrating foam "blanket" around the evaporator. I cut the bailing wire that was holding it and removed the remains. There was also lots of disintegrating weather striping up there. I also discovered that the cheap plastic brackets that hold up the blower resistor packs had broken, leaving the resistor packs to flop around on their wires in my too-often flooded evaporator housing. ((I'm amazed they hadn't shorted out). Foam padding under the blowers had also disintegrated. (I should mention that my drain hoses have clogged frequently, flooding the evaporator housing, so that may have hastened the demise of all the various foam things. When I was looking through the list archives recently for A/C info, I saw a message there from the van's previous owner, from a couple of years ago, in which he said he was having trouble with clogged drain lines and a flooded evaporator housing. Wish I'd seen that earlier...)

(3) Anyway, with the box and blowers down I cleaned everything out thoroughly and put in new waterproof weather striping and padding. Added some in likely looking places that had probably never had any to begin with. Made everything nice and tight. Made no attempt to replace the "blanket", other than more weather striping to make sure air went through the evaporator, rather than around it. Put the box back up (this is the wife-squashing part), and found that my air conditioner, which used to sound like a 747 with a bad cold, was now much quieter. Conversation is even possible with the fan on "3" or "4".

(4) At this point, I hadn't replaced the plastic vent shroud yet. So, all the air conditioning blows right out of the blowers, through a roughly 1 foot by 5 inch opening in the wooden box. I've been driving the van that way for a week, and made a very thought-provoking discovery: the front of the van now gets cool. On fan speed "2" we get a nice little breeze up there. Driver and passenger can breath fresh air. On "4" we get a gale. Papers on the dashboard blow around. I'm tempted to leave it that way, maybe with a little grill over it. However, the rear seat passengers don't get much fresh air (it goes over their heads). Certainly that would be solvable, though. Removing the shroud also adds a few couple of inches of headroom over the back seat, giving a slightly more open look. I should mention that the weather here is 85-90 now, humid, and my air conditioner isn't particularly cold - I get around 56 to 58 degrees at the air outlet.

(5) First, though, I'm going to try putting the plastic shroud back up, with some modifications, and see how well it works. First, the thing's got plastic baffles inside it that appear to be designed to keep from getting too strong a stream up the middle vents, and to spread the air around to the various vents fairly evenly. (You can see them if you look in the vents.) I may cut those up a bit, to get a stronger central stream that can cool the front of the van. (This has to be done carefully, because the baffles also help hold the shroud to the ceiling.) Second, the shroud's bigger than it needs to be - it's got lots of open area (particularly the rear corners) that's not needed to duct the air. I don't know if those areas "waste" cold air or not, but I'll seal them off inside the shroud with some big foam weather striping just in case. If all that doesn't help, I'll probably take it back down for good.

(6) I found that both the left and right sides of the van have a metal air duct up at the ceiling, up where the body side meets the ceiling. These each have a few air outlets in them, and run down the pillars behind the front doors, then through the front doors, then under the dash. The one on the driver's side is (in the camper) used only as a wire run. The one on the passenger side feeds the vents over the door. Note that the curtain track housing over the door is not the duct - it's in front on the duct. Foam rubber is stuffed on each side of the vent outlets in the curtain track to make sure the air goes out the vents, rather than into the track. It certainly looks to me like someone creative could duct the air from the plastic A/C vent housing into these ducts. On the passenger side, it would then blow out of the over-the-door vents. But if those were closed off, the air would presumably continue "backwards" through the fresh air system, through the passenger door, under the dash, to... where? Would it blow out the dash face vents? That would be nice... If not, could new vents be installed up there somewhere? Is it possible to tie into the forward end of the driver's side duct, too? I didn't investigate. An easy experiment would be to blow air (with a hair dryer or something) into the duct that leads from under the dash into the passeneger door, and see where it blows out. I haven't tried that yet.

(7) With so much of my ceiling down, I've been running wires everywhere. You never know when you may need some power someplace, for a light or something. I'm planning a reading light over the rear seat for now; maybe others some other time.

I'll let you know how all this finally works out.

-Steven Sittser