Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Aug 1998 16:04:36 -0400
From:         Bob O'Shaughnessy <vanagon@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bus crash
Comments: To: Rob MacLeod <macleod@CVRTI.UTAH.EDU>,
          Vanagon List <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Rob, a few things:

First off, on anger over losing your bus, I'll put this simply: There are more busses, but your wife is a one-off (I'm assuming ;) ). I'm not trying to say that you've forgotten your wife in this one because I'm sure you haven't. It is just pointing out that a little perspective goes a long way in such situations because..... Your bus is gonna get totaled. A front quarter hit pretty much does it to a Vanagon. Your aduster and a body shop person are gonna have to take a look at it to see if the frame beams under the floor boards are shot, but it'll probably be totaled.

As to your questions about insurance and such, I have a few more questions. Did you get a police report? I'm not sure if Utah is a no-fault state, but what the cops say about fault pretty much goes here in Ohio.

When they decide to total your van, make sure that you have the opportunity to buy it back from the insurance company. I'm not sure how much it will be, but you'll have a salvage title and have a lot of work to do. I'd imply the threat of legal complications if the insurance guy won't make you a good deal on the salvage.

Which brings me to my last point. I've seen Vanagons that have been brought back from a front quarter hit. It takes lots of work, but it is doable. Mark Keller, a listie from Northern Ohio, has a 91 Carat (Lazurus) that was bought with a salvage title and had a front quarter clip welded on. It looks beautiful.

I hope that this helps.

Bob O'Shaughnessy, Columbus, OH vanagon@columbus.rr.com 85GL (awaiting Multivan interior) 74 Bus (Dad's) 72 Wife, 94 Rabbit, 95 Cat, 96 cat, 98 Kid