Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Aug 1998 08:47:17 -0500
From:         Darrell Boehler <midwesty@TAOS.MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: '86 F.I. probs continued.
Comments: To: vanagon list to post <vanagon@vanagon.com>,
          Eric Pickering <pickering.14@OSU.EDU>

------------------------- Hi Eric, After traveling around with a digitool attached to my 86 for over a month I think I can help you determine if your temp 2 sensor is good. One wire to the sensor is brown with a white trace. It supplies a ground from the ECU to the sensor. The other wire is white. The ECU puts a voltage of 5.2 volts on the white wire (with no load) when the sensor is disconnected. The sensor has much resistance when the engine is cold and pull the voltage from 5.2 to about 1.5 volts if it is 70 degrees F. If it were below zero degrees F the voltage would be about 4 volts. As the engine warms the resistance of temp2 decreases and the voltage on the white wire digifant ECU pin 10 will decrease to less than 0.1v the digifant tool shows mine runs at 0.02 volts with a hot engine. I have grounded the temp2 wire on air cooled engines to prove a temp2 sensor was good or bad (I had no tool to attach to the air cooled) . Grounding the white wire should work just as well on an 86. Do this after it has warmed up a bit if it runs normal bad temp2 or brown wire if not ok look for a broken white wire from temp2 to ecu pin 10. Actually and maybe easier if you bridge ( short the contacts) the temp2 connector and all is good you have a bad sensor. Good luck.

Darrell

-----Original Message----- From: Eric Pickering <pickering.14@OSU.EDU> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Tuesday, August 04, 1998 6:51 AM Subject: '86 F.I. probs continued.