Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Aug 1998 16:34:14 -0400
From:         Ron Mighton <rmighton@PASSPORT.CA>
Subject:      Update on Insurance Appraisal
Comments: To: Vanagon@Gerry.SDSC.EDU

I initially sent this note:

Subject: Insurance Appraisal > >I am planning to switch to Royal Insurance because they say they will insure my 1990 Westfalia for its appraised value. They did insist that I use the Toronto Ontario Kreger Appraisal Service. Kreger unfortunately have very limited knowledge of late Westy prices but I had a ton of references pulled off the net suggesting the Canadian Value could be way over 20K and even approaching 30 K for this excellent condition vehicle with about 113k miles on it and its brand new final drive and automatic transmission. They (Kreger) decided thay need some time to research its value after looking with surprise at the price information I provided so I am waiting for the verdict . They are charging me $175 CDN for the appraisal so as soon as I Know I will let you know. I am planning to go with Royal because I have heard that they treat you decently AFTER the accident. Any comments on Royal performance when its time to pay would be greatly appreciated.

KES Kreger Evaluation Services Ltd. got back to me today with their final appraisal of my 1990 Westfalia. Kreger are a well respected (by insurance companies) appraiser of classical cars with as I mentioned earlier VERY LIMITED knowledge of late Westfalias. This is the first appraisal i have participated in so I was surprised when they paid no attention to the engine Ie they didn't start or run it or listen to the engine. I showed them the engine evaluation I had performed by the Owasco VW dealer which rated the engine as good with ciompression of 140, 140, 130,135 The engine has 182,000 kilometers of careful driving or about 113,000 miles and runs powerfully and smoothly I said . They showed little interest in this or in the fact that I had just installed a new automatic transmission and final drive unit for $5800 CDN . They also showed no interest in the stove fridge water system etc. They did not bother to raise the pop top or ask about the canvas. They didn't care about the terrific Apollo awning. They were REALLY interested in the exterior body though. Man they went over it with an eagle eye and found four BEGINNINGS of seam rust I didn't even know about. I thought the body was excellent . They rated it as good and I guess that was from the perspective of a classical car appraisor looking for perfection. They rated the interior, seats and carpet as excellent and I think I only got that rating because the previous two owners had always had the carpet covered with another carpet for protection. They were REALLY interested in the interior as well. Overall they rated the condition of the vehicle as "GOOD" .

THEY GAVE ME A VALUE of $18,000 Cdn Counting the import duty of 7.3 % and the value of the Canadian dollar that means I would have to be able to buy an equivalent US one for $11,000. I think they are low but I would really appreciate comments from both Canadians and US listmembers. The way they determined a comparable US value was to get the average price of 90 Westys from auctions. I suggested they were way out of line with Kelly price estimates but they pointed out that appraisors were not supposed to be influenced bu the comments of (whining and snivelling ) owners like me. The appraisal including taxes cost me 187.25CDN

I paid $12,000 for the vehicle in April 1997 with a known automatic transmission problem. The fix for this as mentioned above cost me $5,800.

My initial objective was to ensure the Vehicle was insured for a realistic repIacement price and I don't think I have done that. I am considering trying to find an appraisor who is knowledgeable about westys and trying again but first I need comments from you knowledgeable list members on what GOOD 90 Wesfalias are going for. Comments from Canadian list members regarding recent sales are really welcome. *************************************************************************** "The significant problems we face can not be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them" Einstein Ron Mighton Toronto, Canada