Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Aug 1998 15:06:34 -0600
From:         Gary Shea <shea@GTSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shuddering rear end when letting clutch out.
Comments: To: Steven Manning <smanning@EXECPC.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Steve -- Prepare for lots of mail on this one. The list just went through a 'oh, you have that too?!' phase on this question a few months ago. Check the archives and you'll find that lots and lots of vanagon owners have the same experience and while some blame Sachs clutch plates, it's not conclusively determined yet. I can't remember anyone with a non-Sachs reporting the problem, but there are many perfectly happy clutches out there with Sachs plates.

Oh, yeah, mine does it too and I just hate it. I have replaced every single part of the clutch system (and I do mean that literally) and it has had no effect.

Gary

On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Steven Manning wrote: > I have this problem wit my '84 vanagon that started while on a trip in > Colorado a few weeks ago. When I let the clutch out from a stop in first > gear or reverse, the rear end shakes and shudders until I get a little > momentum going. I also noticed the clutch is not as sensitive as it used > to be. > > Could this be the beginning of the end of clutch plates and throwout > bearing?? If so, how deep does my pocket have to be $$ ?. > > -steve > DBG >

----------------------------------------------------------------- Gary Shea shea@xmission.com Salt Lake City http://www.xmission.com/~shea