Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Aug 1998 14:04:23 -0700
From:         Lawrence Dongilli <buspilot@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Check your grounds
Comments: To: Vanagon <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Kim Brennan wrote:

> I've never liked crimps alone in electrical (or especially electronic) > connections. I prefer a good solder connection. Although, I also find that > cold solder joints are a prime culprit for bad electrical connections too.

....understood. I must say that I have seen what a _proper_ crimp look like when it is cut apart and analyzed under a microscope....very impressive. It greatly strengthened my faith in crimps. The vast majority of electrical terminations in aerospace are crimped only....but there are strict guidlines and special crimpers to do the job correctly and consistently. Most of what is available to the consumer is pretty cheesy stuff. If you want quality terminations and quality crimpers, it costs money.....and you won't find it at Radio Shack. Most people don't want to pay the price, so they settle for less. Perhaps that is where crimping has gotten it's bad rap. Solder absolutely has its place too but, like you said, it can have it's own problems. Very few people I know can make a _good_ solder joint....merely adequate at best. I personally regard the act of soldering as an art form. There is a lot of very subtle 'english' that is applied.

Given all the proper tools (and there are a few), it _is_ easier for for someone to make a good a crimp joint than make a good solder joint. I see this quite often.

I guess the key here is that, whatever method is used, the person/machine doing the job has to do it properly.

Remember the erratic A/C compressor clutch cycling problem I mentioned in my previous post? That turned out to be an intermittent connection in one of the wires in the harness that runs from the A/C switches in the overhead duct up front to the relays in the rear. There is a 'molex looking' connector that holds about a half dozen wires that disconnects about a two or three foot section of harness that goes to the front switches. Somewhere back in time, there must have been a problem with one of the pin pairs on the connectors, because one of the female pins was gone and that wire end was loose and stripped. The mating male pin was still locked inside the connector shell, but had insulation stripped away about an inch from the crimp. Then, a third piece of wire was used as a splice and _twisted_ (!) around the two exposed conductors, bypassing the connector. Nothing more. Oh yeah.....some electrical tape was at least wrapped around the two 'junctions' and left that way. A real 'quality' job to be sure. I'm sure it worked......for a while. Man.....I don't even _own_ electrical tape. I hate the stuff. Anyway, the conductor for the male pin was repaired, a close fitting female (computer) pin was found and installed in the connector shell, and everything is fine.

Lawrence Dongilli