Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Aug 1998 22:19:10 -0700
From:         Rick Gordon <rickgo@HALCYON.COM>
Subject:      re EV heating up (longish)

>It's been quite a busy and frustrating summer being the owner of this 93 EV >MV. Any ideas as to why this monster is now suddenly heating up even on short >jaunts? 2 weeks ago my husband replaced the coolant flange - what a tight >spot that was - fixing a coolant leak we had. He also managed to stop the >intermittent beeping by replacing the low pressure sensor. We thought we were >finally back to snuff - drove down and back from Delaware. When we came back >we had two new problems: > >1. The engine seems to stall out at stops periodically. Almost as if we're >not coordinating the shifting and the clutch work correctly. My husband >thinks it might be a clutch adjustment since he checked for loose vaccuum >hoses that may have been jiggled when he did the flange job, found nothing >loose. > >2. The temp. guage needle seems to jump up to the 3/4 line shortly after we >begin driving, especially if the air conditioner is on before we start the >engine. There's a lot of heat emanating from below the seats and through the >hood. But nothing seems wrong - no obvious reason why the engine should be >running so hot. Sometimes, after we've driven for a while, the needle starts >to drop back down to normal. Very strange. Does this seem like an AC >connected problem? Or a radiator problem? Or (I hope not) an engine problem. >

You might try checking out the cooling fan fuses, making sure they're not burned out. (They're under the left headlight - you're supposed to be able to get to them in the battery/abs compartment). I haven't had any trouble so this is all hearsay, but several folks on the EV_Update list have reported problems. They're high-amp fuses, and they're pretty expensive but shouldn't be too hard to check.

If all else fails, have you had a mechanic check the OBD system for any error codes logged by the various engine controllers? Maybe that would provide a clue as to why the engine is stalling out. Rick Gordon Bainbridge Island, WA, USA ------------------------------------- rickgo@halcyon.com http://www.halcyon.com/rickgo/ KC7QEG -------------------------------------