Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Aug 1998 10:29:16 -0400
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Adding AC During Engine Swap
Comments: To: 71714.2576@COMPUSERVE.COM
Comments: cc: VWDIESEL@PAS-NT.PAS.ROCHESTER.EDU, vanagon@vanagon.com

From: Jan Eggspuehler <71714.2576@COMPUSERVE.COM>

I recently purchased an '84 Quantum with 1.6 Turbo Diesel to put in my '82 Westy Diesel. Every time I look at that A/C unit sticking out the side I sure would like to bring it with me. Does anyone know if there is a way to condition the air of my Westy now that I will be turbo'd?

Keeping the Quantum AC is going to be a lot more work than just swapping the engine alone. The AC compressor is mounted on the "wrong" side for vanagon installation. You'd have to try to get brackets for a passenger side installation. For evaporator you could try to score a vanagon rear setup (the one that goes in instead of the overhead closet) and plumb it into the quantum AC components, or use the Quantum evaporator (it's pretty small, about 15x30cm, 6x12") with two 12V muffin fans. It could for instance be installed into the rear closet, or the under seat storage. The advanced person might try to tie it into the Vanagon air distribution system by backfeeding the driver side overhead channel from the rear closet. On the westy (at least mine) this channel is not used anyway. This will get you some cooled air from the front outlet.

/m -- Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.yale.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.rochester.edu Yale University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------