Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Aug 1998 12:02:16 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Adding AC During Engine Swap-What I Did
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

One of the two primary reasons I took on the engine swap ('90 Golf GTI into '82 Diesel Westfalia) was to install an airconditioning system. With the junkyard purchase of the engine (with harness, fuel pump and filter module, and air filter assembly) I also took the Sanyden AC compresser (got the PS pump too). The bracket worked out just fine after some minor repositioning of the alternator and reworking the alternator belt tensioning system to clear under the stock engine cover. Had to change the water pump pulley to one I found in the junkyard to properly line things up .

For the rest of the system, I took the condensor and evaporator assembly (with harness) from an '85 regular (non-westy) vanagon. No problem mounting the condensor. I mounted the evaporator just behind the driver/passenger seat, so that it sticks out 7 inches past the roof opening. I then shortened the transfer duct to the front controls and air manifold to fit. I then fabricated a solid wood cover (catching the ridge on the roof) strong enough to sit on, stained it and mounted it just ahead of the hinge points for the poptop. I mounted the receiver/drier in the stock location, bringing the A/C hoses into the westfalia stove cabinet. Had to use my router on the stove lid cover, modify the plastic covers to enclose the A/C hoses and had custom hoses (length) made at Hoseman.

Modifing the wiring was a hassle, but results are great. Filled with R-12 BTW.

Frank Grunthaner