Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Aug 1998 09:56:46 +0200
From:         "Dr. Rainer Woitok" <woitok@RRZE.UNI-ERLANGEN.DE>
Subject:      Re: Sliding Door Handle Cylinder Replacement
Comments: To: George Arfken <GeorgeArfken@WEBTV.NET>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hi George, hi Volks,

On Wed, 1998-08-05 15:44:23 -0400, George Arfken wrote:

> ... > I'm replacing a broken sliding door handle on a '82 Vanagon and would > like to switch the lock cylinders so that the same key works all locks. > I can't figure out how remove the cylinders.

Been there, done that just recently :-). Though it was an '88 Vanagon, but I don't think, this door handle has changed much. Anyway: there's a little screw without head on the underside of the door handle where the handle sits in the door. This screw is camouflaged (erm ... sorry: fixed :-) with paint (normally with black paint, just for better camouflage :-). First thing to do when dealing with cylinder locks is always to insert the key. Else you will be amazed just how fast all these little thingies that make a lock a lock will pop up and away all over the place :-). Ok, when you've inserted the key and removed this headless screw you can insert some sort of bolt into the boring at the end of the cylinder and apply some gentle force to get the cylinder out. You can't ruin anything here, the sole purpose of that boring is to insert something in order to remove the cylinder.

When you have the cylinder out I would at least clean it thoroughly. You slowly and carefully draw out the key and remove these little what-do-ya-call-its (ye know, these little gadgets which make a lock a lock) one at a time. Carefully clean them using ultra fine grinding paper. AND THEN LAY THEM DOWN ON THE TABLE IN SUCH A WAY THAT YOU LATER KNOW WHICH ONE GOES INTO WHICH SLOT OF THE CYLINDER! And keep the kids away! The last time I did that I did it at my friendly local VW dealer, and he adviced me to also change these little springs and offered the replacements at no cost. :-)

Hope that helps.

Sincerely Rainer

---------------------------------------------------------------------- | Rainer M Woitok | Phone: (+49-9131) 85-7811, -7031 | | Regionales Rechenzentrum | | | Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet | Fax : (+49-9131) 30 29 41 | | Martens-Strasse 1 | Telex: d 629 755 tf erl | | D-91058 Erlangen | | | Germany | Mail: Woitok@RRZE.Uni-Erlangen.DE | ----------------------------------------------------------------------