Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Aug 1998 07:49:17 -0700
From:         Mark McCulley <raven@HALCYON.COM>
Subject:      comments on SA grilles
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I received my 4-headlight grille (South Africa import) from Kyle this week and thought I would update the list on the details of this accessory. The grille is all black (flat not shiny) with no chrome detail and comes with a shiny black VW logo badge. You reuse the center keeper screw from your old grill--fixed snap-in posts replace the other four screws. There are fewer louvers in the center of the grill and they are spaced a bit further apart than on the stock grille. The part number and country of manufacture were removed from my grille. The logo badge has a VW part number and was made in Germany.

The inner lights do not attach to the grille as I had expected but instead mount directly to the van. You have to drill 2 holes for each light in the horizontal lip that runs across the bottom of the grille opening. Templates are provided for locating the holes and it looks like it should be an easy installation. The lights are housed in a chrome enclosure which is only a couple of inches deep. Anyone know whether these are fogs or driving lights? I hope they are driving lights... The lights themselves seem to be of good quality although I don't see any VW part numbers on them. The 55W halogen bulbs are German so I suppose the lights were also made in Germany. "MAXTEL" and "JF" are stamped on the glass lenses.

I'll try to post some pictures when I get this installed.

MM