Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Aug 1998 09:42:32 PDT
From:         "Cort, Joel" <Joel.Cort@USA.XEROX.COM>
Subject:      Westy A/C replacement hose questions
Comments: cc: "Jim Davis (SyncroHead)" <SyncroHead@AOL.COM>,
          Joel Walker <JWALKER@UA1VM.UA.EDU>

From SyncroHead >About that AC hose. To avoid paying a FORTUNE at the VW dealer, find an AC >specialty shop and have them make a new hose (or both, while you're yanking >one out) using your existing end connectors. Done this at about 20% of the >cost of the VW hose! > >Regards, >Jim Davis

Thanks Jim,

Will follow your advice after checking with VW at the cost of $346 for a new AC hose. I've already found a shop so now I have to pull it apart for them to cut and fit. Any pitfalls/hints on the best method for yanking and shoving the unwieldy hose out of the Westy closet interiors? I plan on most of Sunday afternoon for this job:-(

From Joel W. >well, hell. :( but as a warning: if/when you get it fixed, you'll need a >new DRYER also ... when you have a leak or open circuit/system for more >than about four hours, the dryer sucks up too much moisture from the air >and ruins itself :( just one more added expense.

OK which gizmo is the dryer unit? Is it the round canister above the left rear wheel where the return from the evaporator (the other AC Hose) goes to the front radiator? Or is it the little square box where the big AC hose (the one that blew on my system) goes into the main evaporator in the camper roof section?

Shucks, I will also replace the dryer unit suggested by Joel which should take care of the rest of the weekend and any loose change in my pocket :-( x2

Hey! is there an archive with this sort of information so I wont bug anyone with this problem?

Thanks for all your great insights and advice.

Joel C. 89 Red HOT Westy Syncro