Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Aug 1998 14:12:53 -0400
From:         Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@HALHINET.ON.CA>
Subject:      Idle Stabilizer
Comments: To: Lasha <panfried@HEMPSEED.COM>,
          Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Lasha wrote:

> Where is the place you find the idle stableizer to spray>?<Gaelen

Cleaning the Idle Stabilizer:

The idle stabilizer sits on top of the engine about in the middle. It connects the air inlet bellows with the air manifold - bypassing the throttle. To clean the idle stabilizer you need to remove it from the engine by first disconnecting the wire connector, then the air inlet, then the air outlet, and finally sliding the rubber mount off of the metal bracket. On examination of the idle stabilizer, you will find, most likely, that the air outlet has black crud inside. If you spray throttle body cleaner up into the air outlet, then you should be able to flush out all of the black crud. Keep flushing until the cleaner runs clean. Now check the air inlet. It should appear relatively clean but to be sure give it a shot or two of cleaner and check the color. Finally for the adventurous, take a small flat bladed screw driver and gentle press against the spring loaded valve inside the inlet. You should be able to depress the spring loaded valve enough to spray throttle body cleaner from the inlet through to the outlet. Now reinstall and make sure that the rubber couplings are air tight and snug. Reconnect the electrical connector and test your work by starting the engine.

Modifying the Idle Stabilizer:

I have been told by the "VW Bus Heaven" that there is a fix for the oscillating idle that I and others are experiencing (+/- 25 rpm per second). It involves adding a set screw to the inlet side of the idle stabilizer and using the set screw to depress the valve. I haven't tried this yet and before I do I'd like to hear from anyone else who has tried this or heard about this procedure.

Larry '86 Syncro Westfalia