Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Aug 1998 04:26:29 EDT
From:         Michael Modl <Modl6971@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hesitation on 87 Vanagon O2 sensor? reply
Comments: To: midwesty@taos.midwest.net, Vanagon@vanagon.com

In a message dated 98-08-07 02:09:42 EDT, midwesty@taos.midwest.net writes:

<< --------------------------- Hi Michael, I have been getting into ECUs pretty heavy lately and it seems to me that a CO meter is the only way to test an oxygen sensor. Most digifant books say the digifant should have a CO level of 0.3 to 1.1. If it has the correct level the oxygen sensor is good. If it is out of this range it is bad or the ECU / wiring is bad. The vw Vanagon protraining manual suggests to test the ECU one should start the engine with the oxygen sensor disconnected. Hold the disconnected wire from the ECU to ground and the CO will rise. If the CO does rise the ECU is said to be ok. I like most of us have no CO meter. I can change the oxygen sensor many times for the price of the CO meter. It seems to me if we start the engine with the oxygen sensor disconnected then hold the wire from the ECU to ground we should expect the digifant to cause a very rich situation (black smoke). If however we touch the wire to the plus side of a 1.5 volt battery with the minus side of the battery grounded the ECU should generate a very lean situation. This may be a good way to test the ECU to see if it is reading the oxygen sensor correctly. However I feel the only sure way to test the sensor is to use a CO meter or replace it. Even if the ECU is able to control the mixture so the oxygen sensor reads 0.5v we don't know for sure without a CO meter the mixture is correct. The sensor can have a wrong out put and the ecu will do its best to keep the voltage at 0.5v, when a proper oxygen sensor may read 0.7 volts. Sensors fail in different ways with my limited experience I have seen no output, wrong output, complete negative output and slow to respond to changes. l plan to set up and post on the web a trouble shooting guide for many of the ECU components and thought you may have some thoughts on or shoot down my observations / ideas on oxygen sensors.

Darrell >> Darrel, a CO reading between .3 to 1.1 with the O2 sensor connected still wont tell you the condition of the actual O2 sensor. The only true way to find out the condition of the O2 sensor, is to monitor how quickly the voltage fluctuates, high to low, the swing rate of the voltage and how tight. New VW's since 1996 with OBD2, the engine ECU is constantly monitoring the voltage fluctuations, response time and how tight the swing is. If at any time the ECU doesn't see this, the ECU will store a fault and turn the check engine light on. It can happen with a new car with only 10K on it, I see it all the time. OBD2 is so wonderfull because it monitors everything, and I can watch it all on a VW computer. Now that your vanagon doesn't have OBD2, you need to use your wonderfull volt meter. With a hot motor, dissconnect the O2 sensor and get a voltage reading, watch it carefully, analog voltmeter would be best, so you can see how quickly and how tight the swing is of the voltage. The swing rate should be within a second, from a high to low voltage. Turn your mixture screw counterclockwise, LEAN, your voltage will be low, around .1 (100 millivolts). Now turn it clockwise, your voltage will go up to .9 (900 millivolts). .5 is perfect air fuel mixture, you'll see on your digital voltmeter a high of .7 and a low of .2, fluctuating rapidly up and down, sometimes you'll see .5 in there. What matters is, that it is an average of .5 volts. An analog volt meter would be better ( unless you digital meter has an anlalog graph). If you were to check the CO now it would say probably .6 CO, that is a little too lean for a vanagon. That setting is what it will be on a cold start up, wich is too lean for a vanagon. Keep in mind that the ECU isn't looking at your O2 sensor voltage until the engine reaches a certain tempurature. Per temp sensor, the ECU will then take O2 sensor voltage and then adjust accordingly. The purpose of setting the voltage higher is for cold run characteristics ONLY. The ECU will always keep adjusting the amount of fuel to the injectors so it will see an AVERAGE of .5 volts. Swing by a dealer or independent VW shop and hook it to the CO machine, along with a volt meter and see for yourself. Have fun. I'd like to know how it turns out. Michael Modl. 87 syncro 87 quattro