Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Aug 1998 09:41:59 -0500
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <bloss@mailman.enter.net>
From:         "Karl F. Bloss" <bloss@ENTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: A good portable AC/DC fridge to buy?
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

We bought a $90 Coleman 12V icebox for our recent 9-day trip and it worked out great. We kept a couple of gel cooling packs in there to keep the thermal momentum going when it was unplugged and we had no problem with premature spoilage, molding etc. It helps to keep a couple of beers in there too...for thermal momentum, ya know. :-)

They say not to keep it plugged in for more than an hour without running the motor. So when we popped into a store or a quick meal, I kept it running. Overnight it either got unplugged or I was hooked up to AC and used a battery charger and aux battery (required per instruction) to keep it going. They also sell an AC adapter pack.

BTW, if you flip the polarity, it becomes a food warmer. This is officially sanctioned and there's even a switch to make it so. When you use this thing, you _know_ that the billions of $ in Space Shuttle research is working for you. :-)

-Karl

Karl and Kristina Bloss, Trexlertown, PA '87 GL Weekender "Beverley" VW shop list: http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/vwshops