Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Aug 1998 19:09:19 -0700
From:         Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>
Subject:      Re: Cool pics, some questions
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

KENWILFY@AOL.COM wrote:

> As I was checking out Chris Turner's pics from Germany (and enjoying them very > much) I saw a few things that I wanted to ask about. > 2. Black VW badged pickup in one picture is a VW Taro right? (You say you've > never heard of a Taro? And you thought you knew about VWs. :)

The VW Taro was the result of Toyota searching for a plant that could build the Hilux pickup in Europe. Some manufacturers were contacted, and VW found a simple solution to get a pickup in the weight-class between the Caddy (Rabbit) Pickup and the larger Transporter pickup.The Taros were manufactured in the Hannover plant right next to the Transporters and EV's. With the introduction of the new Hilux, the Taro was discontinued. Here in Norway, the Taro didnt sell much, because the Toyota had a much better warranty, and people really didnt see why buy a VW-badged Toyota when they could buy the "real" thing. The Toyota had a 3-year new car warranty, while the VW just had 1 year of warranty. My guess was that only 1 out of 10 sold were a VW, the rest being Toyotas

> > > 5. Liked the LTs. Did they make any of these into campers in Germany or are > they strictly grunt vehicles? (There is one here in South Jersey that I have > seen pictures of that was brought over and camperized in the US by a VW > dealer.) >

The first generation of LTs were manufactured from 1977 to 1996, and were powered by four and six-cylinder gas engines (2,0 - 2.6? I believe), and a 2.4 diesel six-cylinder (the same engine that Volvo bought for its 240 and 740 series)They were available as vans pickups, buses and westys, lwb's highroofs including chassis models. I've even seen a LT as a tow truck. It was even offered with 4-wheel drive, but it was not called Syncro. I know of a 4WD pickup, I'll try to get a photo of it, when I saw it the first time I did not have my camera with me :-( The new generation of LTs are rebadged versions of the Mercedes Sprinter, but with VWs engines. Although I cannot at this time confirm this, I believe the LT are powered by a 2.7 litre four-cylinder TDI with over 100hp. What an engine for a Vanagon? (sigh)

BTW, the LT and Taro are the only vehicles produced by VW that are front engined and rear wheel drive, all others have their engine over the primary drive wheels.:-)

Per Lindgren 88 Syncro