Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Aug 1998 14:10:31 EDT
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Vanagons/EV vs Do*ge Minivans
Comments: To: dgibbons@PRESRAY.COM, vanagon@vanagon.com

I have been thinking about this for a while and the current thread about the new EVs being highly priced has got me thinking about doing a comparison between the Do*ge minivans and the VW offerings. 1. Price Yes the CareBear vans look cheaper but when you add all the options to make it comparable to VWs vans the gap narrows considerably (to only a couple thousand). 2. Reliability The cheaper 4 cylinder Do*ge vans have a known problem with the rings going bad at 100k miles or less (ever sit behind a nice looking CareBear van and wonder why all this black smoke is billowing out the back? That's why) which actually is a bigger problem than the headgasket problem as far as I am concerned. The more expensive 6 cylinder van engine is made by Mitsubishi and is reliable but then so is the VR6. 3. Room/Cargo Capacity You can't really compare the two at this point. The Do*ge is basically a pregnant stationwagon while the Vanagon and EV both have very spacious interiors. If you want more room in the Chrysl*r you have to pay extra for it! 4. Driveability I don't know about you folks but I have a hard time finding any vehicle that is more pleasurable to drive long distances with than a Vanagon. You have great visibility with the extra height and large windshield. The last two trips I have taken in my friend's CareBear van I have gotten car sick (this is on top of feeling claustraphobic). So you can make up your minds for yourselves which one of the two is better but I think there is a stronger case for the VW vans (all of their quirks included). Ken Wilford John 3:16