Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Aug 1998 12:09:25 -0700
From:         Lawrence Dongilli <buspilot@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Lawrence Dongilli, Syncronaut!! (was: Check your grounds)
Comments: To: Vanagon <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Jim Davis wrote:

> Welcome to the international brotherhood of Syncronauts!!!! > Do you know the Syncronaut's handshake yet? > Just kidding. > > I always enjoy meeting fellow "Syncronauts" on the internet. I've "met" > nearly 290 of us so far!

Thanks for the warm welcome. "Syncronauts", eh? That's cool.....I like that! Our Syncro is quite a huge departure from the status quo for us. Among the list of firsts are: air conditioning, fuel injection, liquid cooling, power steering, all wheel drive and a brain in charge of it all! Up to this point, I have dealt exclusively with the Type 1/2/3 with all the variations of the Type 1 engine. Never made it to Type 4. The largest single deviation was a '69 Porsche 911T I owned and rebuilt years ago. Anyway, I've got quite a lot to learn here....this is a whole new ball game.

> Is your 86 a "Camper" model? What model do you have?

What we have is an '86 Vanagon GL Syncro. It is the basic seven passenger van (but I think ours classifies as a 'Weekender'......the rear seat folds down into a bed and it has a pad over the rear deck....no side table, though). It is silver with a blue interior, and had 115k miles on the chassis, but the front differential unit was replaced at 62K miles and the engine was replaced at around 90k miles. Most of the service records were available....and a lot other stuff has been replaced too. I don't know if the previous owners were hard on cars or what...but there is a _lot_ of new stuff. I guess they weren't too handy with a wrench either, because they did _nothing_ themselves. As a result, there are some big numbers on the receipts. Our Syncro isn't perfect, it still needs some bits and pieces....there are some bumps and scratches on the body...but it looks like a very serviceable vehicle with normal wear and tear for a 12 year old vehicle. We weren't looking specifically for a 'Syncro', just a basic Vanagon to replace our 'flak damaged' '71 (took a direct hit in the sliding door by someone in a big hurry trying to beat a stop light while my wife was turning left). The Bus was still fully driveable, but the sliding door and the surrounding body was trashed. There were enough other significanat problems with the rest of the body (previous major repairs and much rust setting in) that we decided to consider moving on to something else. Too bad, because from a mechanical perspective, it is in very good condition. We wanted another '71 (to hopefully transfer the engine/trans/etc) but had no luck finding one with a _really_ good body after looking for about seven months.....all the while dearly missing the full utility of the sliding door....especially when carrying around our son, who is currently nearly 21 months old. If we were going to get anything, it had to be _really_ clean. We were open to many possibilities, including some 'domestic' options. Anyway, we looked at a couple of standard Vanagons, and they did not grab us. Then, by chance we saw the Syncro advertised in a local publication....for sale by owner. We looked at it....drove it.....and here we are. We'll see how the Syncro does for us. So far we really like it....it is sort of in an evaluation period right now. My biggest gripe at this point is cost of parts. I have almost had several heart attacks inquiring on prices of some (most) items from the dealer! Unbelievable. Welcome to the world of the modern auto. I guess we were spoiled with parts costs from the air-cooled lineage. Fortunately, there seem to be enough vendors out there selling OEM parts at a far more 'reasonable' cost.

> Where do you live?

....actually, not too far from you - Lakewood CA. I work at the Boeing plant (formerly McDonnell Douglas until the merger a year ago) in Long Beach.

Regards,

Lawrence Dongilli