Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Aug 1998 09:00:01 -0400
From:         "Sminkey, Scott" <ssminkey@XYPLEX.COM>
Subject:      Re: tire choice
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I put Michelin MXT reinforced tires (205/70R14 99S) on my 91 camper and have been very pleased with them. They have about 15k miles on them and very little tread wear so far. I paid $73 each for them at NTW (now NTB) in August 96. I spoke to someone at Michelin and she said that this is the replacement for the discontinued MXL rein- forced tires that came on the camper. The Michelin part number is 73568. The MXTs have a more aggressive tread pattern than the MXLs and look more like an all- season tire.

For New England winters, I have been changing over to Nokia Hakkepeliitta NR09 195/70R14 tires since I bought the camper. These tires don't quite make the required load rating, but I figure that since I don't load up the van in the winter, I'm probably ok. These tires have been just great in the snow. I remember that one of my road rally friends loved these tires for dirt roads.

- Scott Sminkey '91 Westfalia camper ssminkey@xyplex.com