Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Aug 1998 13:04:39 -0500
From:         Maureen Stretch <mstretch@SPRINTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Is Westy-lust justified? Do you use your appliances? was:
              chuckboxes
Comments: To: GMBulley@aol.com, Vanagon List <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

On 08/10 11:10 AM, gmbulley wrote: .<snip> > I >imagine in >the near future, cooking simple, but delicious meals on the STOVE from fresh >food from the FRIDGE while washing my hands and cleaning the plates in the >SINK. Is this reality? It has been for me. Especially when it is raining outside, I found it wonderful to cook inside, and be able to wash up. Last fall, when I was camping at a 3-day dog show, it rained all weekend. I cooked inside and cleaned up all weekend and felt very happy and snug in the Westy.

However, I love the Westy so much, I donıt want to get it greasy , and I also love cooking outdoors, too.

So I also bring along a small propane 2-burner Coleman stove for outdoor cooking. I feel I have the best of both worlds. If I want to cook outside, I do. If I need or want to cook inside, I can.

The refrigerator is small so you canıt carry a lot of fresh food, but you can carry the essentials. >How much/often do you use your "appliances" in the Westy, and (while we >are at >it), how many bring other grown-ups with you, and use BOTH beds? Whenever I go camping for more than a single night, I always use the refrigerator. It is very convenient to have it and not have to lug around a separate cooler. On the other hand, I am used to drinking Diet Cokes that are not chilled....so I use the fridge for milk, eggs, mayo, and other perishables.

I use the sink when I use the stove inside and I have a local water hookup.

Another Westy feature I enjoy are the tables that swing out and can be put away. You can set up a laptop or groom a dog on one. (If you are so inclined.)

I have brought other adults along as guests and used both beds. Normally I use the bottom bunk, but a few weekends ago, I tried the top bunk myself and it was nice. Having the option to put guests in the top bunk makes it much easier to invite friends. I also have a tent that can fit over the rear hatch if I want to bring an army.

>Is my Westy-lust justified, or should I just enjoy my kneeling-in-the-bus, >packing-ice-in-the-94-quart-cooler, pump-up-the-Coleman-stove existence?

To me it seems justified. When you have a Westy, you donıt have to pack ice, or bring the Coleman stove,if you donıt want to and you have lots of room for guests, clothes, pets, etc. Best of all, you have options about all that. Here in the Northeast, it also makes me feel secure that if I am ever caught in it in a blizzard, I could cook up a storm and stay clean! :)

Maureen Stretch Natick, Mass. 91 Vanagon GL Westy ³Johann²