Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Aug 1998 20:57:54 -0400
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>
Subject:      78 Bus FI Help Needed...
Comments: To: type2@bigkitty.azaccess.com, vanagon@vanagon.com

During the past few days my son's 78 bus has been running like crap...misfiring, backfiring, etc. at mid to high revs...lack of power.

So I changed the fuel filter...it ran ok for a day or so, and then it started doing it again. To day I broke down and bought a brand new fuel pump...put it in...

It ran well for about 10 minutes...then it started the same old crap again...it idles fine, but as soon as it gets within 750 rpm or so of shifting to the next gear....it dies...I shift up to the next gear...it catches and runs until its time to shift..then it dies, etc.

It seems like when there is a high demand for fuel is when it dies....it also starts backfiring just before it dies.

I think the problem is there is not enough fuel pressure to handle the load...which leads me to believe the pressure relief valve is to blame.

Opinons? Any ideas? I drove it to the repair garage to night...barely made it there..by the time I got there, the only time it would run was when it was on idle...otherwise it would only run while starting and only for a few seconds after that.

Any help, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ric