Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Aug 1998 04:27:51 EDT
From:         Dan Hall <Spitzwagen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Fog Lights/Rayleigh Scattering
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Volks, I am digging deep into the noodle for this one but I believe I am remembering it correctly. We were studying aerial photography and satellite imaging in a Remote Sensing class. The reason the sky(on a clear day) and swimming pools are blue is because moisture(fog) reflects light primarily in the blue wavelengths. This phenomenon is called Rayleigh Scattering. To counteract this problem a minus blue(yellow) filter is used in aerial photography to reduce reflected light and sharpen the image. I assume it is for the same reason that they make some sunglasses and fog lights yellow. Please correct me if I am wrong. I was just hoping to use my Geography degree in some form other than being in charge of the Road Atlas when the band is on the road. :-) Dan Hall Alabama