Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Aug 1998 12:27:10 -0600
From:         Robin Davies <rodavies@FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU>
Subject:      A New Syncro Story(long)
Comments: To: Vanagon@Gerry.SDSC.EDU

Here's a new twist in Syncro glory,

July began with the most rain on record for Madison, Wisconsin. Ten inches in the first five days. A quick and dramatic U-turn and we have a loong dry spell. Twenty days without rain. The corn is through the roof, the grass is yellow and brittle. Things were getting a bit testy... Perfect time to do that roofing job that we've been putting off for years. The tear off was pure joy in that hot sun. Not one, not two, but THREE layers of shingles AND cedar shake underneath! The roof got done in a weekend (let me tell you, I have new respect for those grimy roofing folks doing this day after day) and the pile of rubble was great! Too cheap to rent a dumpster. Well the neighbor wasn't too thrilled about the pile of junk in our shared driveway (this is a person who cleans his vinyl siding weekly with a wash cloth and 409). I borrow a coworkers trailer and it's time to test my new hitch with two loads of roofing trash. August, and the weather has come about again! Flash floods warnings for days. Three inches of rain the night before, but The Day dawns sunny and hot. Oh yeah, and this is supposed to be quality time with my 11 year old daughter whom is home from camp and trying to enjoy a summer vacation the way it's supposed to be. When we were kids, mom was lucky to see us for dinner, we were off terrorizing the neighborhood all day. Those days are gone even in happy Madison, WI! We have kid-napping, people dumping gas and lighting citizens on fire on city buses, crack dealers shooting each other in housing complexes- Ah the joys of modern America! Gotta keep the children close. So, the daughter and I are going to do some work together and haul the mess to the Dane County landfill. Loading the trailer isn't too bad. The blisters on my hands scream a bit, but we will get this done. Hell, I'm saving $150 by not renting a dumpster. Leslie the Syncro Westie seems to tow the first load with ease. We even have a brief interstate romp(got up to 60!) to get to the now underconstruction county highway that leads to the dump. The gravel road (closed) is very rough and we power on. Climb on the scale (5500 lbs) and proceed up Mount Trashmore. This aint so bad... Round the corner and we are suddenly overcome with the nastiest odor EVER! I have two big dogs, a cat (swore I'd never have a cat-just can't stand the liter box), changed a thousand baby diapers- I have been intimate with many foul smells, but this is the worst! We close the windows. The sauna is now open! At the summit we are directed by a scruffy dude driving some great earth mover that possess not tires, but mighty steel rollers covered with breadbox sized blades that crunch our trash to further smithereens, to "leave your load over there by that truck". That truck belongs to the masters of the dump domain and has HUGE baja tires, four wheel drive and suspension a mile high. The trail on top of the mountain is rough and mucky, I can't see everyones leftover McBurger trash, but there is certainly a great variation to this terrain. Leslie plows through with purpose and we get to point B and I begin to work on my blisters again. Why can't my coworker have a dumping trailer?!? The daughter stays in the van roasting half to death- really enjoying our time together... Load number two brings new adventures! The daughter is at home snuggled up with the VCR and I am at the summit again and the flood begins. It is pouring buckets. TerraFirma is no longer firma! The path to my previous pile of roofing scraps is looking like a scene from Apocalypse Now. The great flock of seagulls that normally circle the pile have flown south to avoid the torrent. Dumpster dude decides to close up shop, but will let me unload- Hey I'm on a Mission! He jumps in his truck to run a hasty retreat while I say goodbye to the last of my cedar shakes. Truckasaurus doesn't want to go anywhere! He is quickly burying himself up to his axles in lovely trash/crud. He chains his truck to the trashcrunchmobile and tows his truck out to solid trash. Through the wall of water "I'll pull you out next!" he gurgles. I sputter that I'll give it a shot on my own. Mission accomplished and I jump in the van, rip off my completely saturated t-shirt and fire Leslie up. You should have seen trashboy's jaw drop as my awesome camper pulled straight out of the quagmire, past his two beasts and drove right out off there (hopefully) never to be seen again. The Syncro wins again!

Peace R. 87 Syncro Vanagon Westfalia 95 Passat GLX http://www.biochem.wisc.edu/medialab