Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Aug 1998 02:18:51 EDT
From:         Michael Modl <Modl6971@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trip Advice Needed: Oregon, Wash., B.C.
Comments: To: FrankGRUN@aol.com, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

In a message dated 98-08-11 21:18:22 EDT, FrankGRUN@AOL.COM writes:

<< Just about to pack up wife, kid (age 10), two dogs, three bikes, tent and Westfalia for a multiweek vacation in the Pacific Northwest. We have a planned route in mind and would greatly appreciate any proffered advice as to campgrounds and particular routes to travel. We will add the side tent only when staying at one site for several days.

We will start from Southern California and first overnight near Tracy. We will then proceed up into Oregon, diverting from Interstate 5 to the Oregon Coast at Eugene. We plan our next overnight near Astoria. We will then go on to the Olympic National Park trying to stay in one of the rainforest campgrounds for several days, then moving on to the Heart of the Hills CG. The next leg will involve crossing to Victoria from Port Angeles, a tour of Vancouver island, (possible overnight), then crossing to Vancouver at Namiano, and several overnights with access to Vancouver for touring the vicinity. We will then go on to Banff and possibly Jasper for a week stay. We may want to stop along the way at Yoho or? In the last phase, we leave Banff and rapidly go down to Salem, OR. and divert back to the Oregon coast going south. Plan to overnight around Cresent City. Then proceed via Redding to the Sacramento delta to camp for a few days, then home.

Again, all advice sorely appreciated.

Frank Grunthaner >> Frank your plans sounds great. In the Vancouver B.C. area there is a lot to do, as you'll see from all the brochures that you'll pick up here and there, like on the boat from Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay/Vancouver. Horseshoe Bay is beautifull. A couple miles just north of Vancouver, you can take a gondola way up the mountain for dinner, it's beautifull. On your way out from Vancouver on hwy 1, just north of Chilliwack, there's Harrison hot springs. It's a 20 minute drive from the "Harrison Hot Springs exit". It's a very nice place to camp in town ( three camp sites, the last one just before town is the best) and tons of camping in the woods just around the lake, like Hicks lake, a great place to camp too, but a 20 minute drive from Harrison. At the "Harrison Exit" sign on hwy 1, there is also a dinosaur park and water slides for you son. I would recommend to take the drive from Jasper national park to Banff, in between the two you must deffinently stop at the Columbian Ice fields with a tour of the glaciers on a six wheel drive monster tour bus, it's great. Also stop at Lake Louise and walk around the lake. Great camping all around here too! On your way back home form Banff go to Kimberly in B.C. , your son will love the the mountain slide and the camping and the big cookoo clock in town. Kimberly has some Bavarian theme to it. From there, if you want some good Bavarian food with the real look of Austria and Germany, try out Leavenwurth (hwy 2) in WA. Camp in Icycle river. I would love to here how your trip went after you are done. Have fun. Michael Modl, North Bend , WA. 87 syncro 87 quattro