Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Aug 1998 14:50:56 -0500
From:         Yi-Ruey Wei <ray.wei@US.PWCGLOBAL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heavy steering / Tire dragging
Comments: To: ILIKEVW4ME@AOL.COM
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Kurt, I believe all Syncro will have some front tire dragging when you make turns at parking lot speed. That's because the silicon viscosity coupling engaged automatically when it heated up by the different rpm's between front differential shaft and rear differential shaft and that will force the front tires turning at the same speed as rear tires. Hope other Syncro owners can response this. Mine definitely have the tire dragging, but not heavy steering though. Regards, Yi-Ruey Wei 87 Vanagon GL Syncro w/78K miles 85 Jetta GLI w/165K miles Dallas, TX

Kurt Thomas <ILIKEVW4ME@AOL.COM> on 08/11/98 09:15:47 PM

Please respond to ILIKEVW4ME@AOL.COM To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM cc: Subject: Heavy steering

Hi, Does anyone have a problem w/steering? This is what is happening to me. I'm backing out of a parking spot, turning the steering approx. 30 degrees. It feels like the tires are being dragged more than it should. Then while in fwd gear it feels like sort of snowplowing the front tires (both tires are turned the same direction of course). It's been a long time since I've driven rear wheel drive VW. My past VW's have been a caddy, jetta3, fox wagon.

Also see my question on A/C HOUSING.

Thanks for helping, Kurt Thomas 87 syncro(2wks new)

---------------------------------------------------------------- The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.